Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile a symbol of letting go of the past

    It's an Italian custom to throw old belongings out the window as a symbol of letting go of the past.




    Would it be better to reword the bolded part as "a symbol of letting the past go out?" If not, what does it mean? is it "a symbol of getting rid of the past?" Thanks.

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    It's an Italian custom to throw old belongings out the window as a symbol of letting go of the past.




    Would it be better to reword the bolded part as "a symbol of letting the past go out?" If not, what does it mean? is it "a symbol of getting rid of the past?" Thanks.
    Nearly, but with more emphasis on the agent (the person who is letting go). Each person throwing old belongings out of the window is saying (well, implying) 'I will no longer be held back by feelings about tradition or obsessions I have had until now with what has happened in the past'. In other words, to borrow a '60s slogan, 'Today is the first day of the rest of my life.'

    This sort of 'letting go' has become more popular among 'pop' psychologists in recent years: 'When your children grow up, you must know how to let go. They have their own lives to lead, and you must let them make their own mistakes.'

    b

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    "Getting rid of" is very negative. You get rid of cockroaches, mice, telemarketers, things you strongly dislike and don't want around you.

    "Letting go" is neutral. Letting go of the past means concentrating on the present and future. It doesn't mean that the past was bad, only that it's over, done with, finished. Don't focus on your past failures, successes, etc. Get on with your life.

    We often say "I'll let you go now" as a way of ending a conversation, especially on the telephone.

    So now I'll let you get back to your studies.
    edward

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    It's an Italian custom to throw old belongings out the window as a symbol of letting go of the past.


    Would it be better to reword the bolded part as "a symbol of letting the past go out?" If not, what does it mean? is it "a symbol of getting rid of the past?" Thanks.

  4. #4
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Nearly, but with more emphasis on the agent (the person who is letting go). Each person throwing old belongings out of the window is saying (well, implying) 'I will no longer be held back by feelings about tradition or obsessions I have had until now with what has happened in the past'. In other words, to borrow a '60s slogan, 'Today is the first day of the rest of my life.'

    This sort of 'letting go' has become more popular among 'pop' psychologists in recent years: 'When your children grow up, you must know how to let go. They have their own lives to lead, and you must let them make their own mistakes.'

    b
    Thanks, Bob.
    Gotcha!


    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    "Getting rid of" is very negative. You get rid of cockroaches, mice, telemarketers, things you strongly dislike and don't want around you.

    "Letting go" is neutral. Letting go of the past means concentrating on the present and future. It doesn't mean that the past was bad, only that it's over, done with, finished. Don't focus on your past failures, successes, etc. Get on with your life.

    We often say "I'll let you go now" as a way of ending a conversation, especially on the telephone.

    So now I'll let you get back to your studies.
    edward
    Thanks, Edward.
    With your help, I'm getting to know more about English and your culture.

  5. #5
    beascarpetta's Avatar
    beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post

    We often say "I'll let you go now" as a way of ending a conversation, especially on the telephone.
    thank you very much for commenting on this phrase
    Last edited by beascarpetta; 28-Dec-2007 at 14:32.

  6. #6
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    thank you very much for commenting on this phrase
    Hi, beascarpetta.
    I couldn't figure out why you said that. Din't you know that the phrase implied that before?

  7. #7
    beascarpetta's Avatar
    beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Hi, beascarpetta.
    I couldn't figure out why you said that. Din't you know that the phrase implied that before?
    no,I did,actually,but a very good friend of mine(newly wed at that) thought her mother-in-law was upset about sg she had said on the phone when said British mother-in-law ended the conversation this way
    so whenever that phrase comes up ....

  8. #8
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    no,I did,actually,but a very good friend of mine(newly wed at that) thought her mother-in-law was upset about sg she had said on the phone when said British mother-in-law ended the conversation this way
    so whenever that phrase comes up ....
    Thanks, beascarpetta.

    I think I got what you meant except the bolded part.

  9. #9
    beascarpetta's Avatar
    beascarpetta is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,331
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    sorry,I got ahead of myself
    I meant to say that my friend's English is very good, but her mother tongue is not English and so she tries especially hard not to make any mistakes and to please her British mother-in-law.
    So when said (above-mentioned)mother-in-law said , "I'll let you go now" , she thought she had committed a major crime without knowing it.

  10. #10
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: a symbol of letting go of the past

    Quote Originally Posted by beascarpetta View Post
    sorry,I got ahead of myself
    I meant to say that my friend's English is very good, but her mother tongue is not English and so she tries especially hard not to make any mistakes and to please her British mother-in-law.
    So when said (above-mentioned)mother-in-law said , "I'll let you go now" , she thought she had committed a major crime without knowing it.
    Thanks, beascarpetta.
    Gotcha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is Yesterday a past time?
    By shun in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-Feb-2008, 18:54
  2. Can have + past participle #2
    By riverkid in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 06:54
  3. A strange use of tense
    By shun in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2006, 02:45
  4. Past Participle
    By Fazzu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2006, 05:13
  5. The Hidden Evidence: The Past Family
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 09-Nov-2003, 00:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk