• Post Thanks / Like

Please, check two compositions for fce writing

Following statement was recently printed in a local newspaper.
    “English is the only foreign language worth learning.” Your teacher has now asked you to write a composition giving your opinion on this subject.

Some people believe there is no point in learning other foreign languages as long as you know English. I do not think it is not quite correct.
    To start with, though English is the most worldwide language, it is known only by little percent of foreign nations. For example if you are in Germany, you may have language problem either in a shop or in a bus. Ordinary people usually do not know any foreign language.
    Secondly, scientists claim that learning foreign languages is useful for brain. What is more, the more language you know, the better your brain works.
    However, some people consider it unreasonable to spend time and money for the second foreign language. In their opinion, you can manage all the world with only English.
    To sum up, I am of the opinion that other languages, such as German, French, Russian, etc. are worth being learnt as English.
    --------------------

Your teacher has asked you to write a composition giving your opinion on the following statement: “Arts subjects are of very little use in today’s world.”

Some people believe that in comparison with arts subjects science subjects are more useful. I agree with this statement to some degree.
    To start with, today all fields of activity are influenced by computers. Nowadays it is impossible to find any field without computers and handling computers require science knowledge.
    Secondly, for everyday life you have to know science subjects, at least arithmetic is compulsory. Whereas, it seems one can live not knowing any arts subjects.
    However it would not be correct to neglect arts subjects completely. Maybe, arts subjects are not life necessary as science subjects but they enrich our inner life, make it more beautiful. Music, arts, literature is indispensable part of our life.
    To conclude, though I am if the opinion that both subjects are important for proper life, I can’t deny science subjects’ privilege.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please, check two compositions for fce writing

Oops - English is the most widely spoken language in the world! More people speak it than Chinese. In Europe most contries teach English in the schools and it is hardly ever necessary to look far to find an English speaking native.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Austria

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please, check two compositions for fce writing

I'd be specially careful about the example you give to drive home your message

because people in Germany are usually very good at English, dus drivers included.

To start with, though English is the most widely spoken language, it is known only by a small percentage of foreign nations. For example, if you are in Germany, you may run into serious problems making yourself understood either in a shop or on a bus.
    Ordinary people usually do not know any foreign languages.