Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile he missed out on the free lunch at work.

    Ian was sick tday, so he missed out on the free lunch at work.
    ... so he missed the free lunch ...



    Do both of the above sound right? If yes, are there any differences in meaning between them? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: he missed out on the free lunch at work.

    This is almost splitting hairs, but "missed out" expresses more regret, disappointment. It was very unfortunate.

    regards
    edward

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Ian was sick tday, so he missed out on the free lunch at work.
    ... so he missed the free lunch ...



    Do both of the above sound right? If yes, are there any differences in meaning between them? Thanks.

  3. #3
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: he missed out on the free lunch at work.

    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    This is almost splitting hairs, but "missed out" expresses more regret, disappointment. It was very unfortunate.

    regards
    edward
    Thanks, Edward.
    Got it.

    By the way, I never knew their differences are like splitting hairs because they are confusing to me--non-native speaker.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    399
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: he missed out on the free lunch at work.

    I'm sorry, I meant that my response was splitting hairs. I wasn't referring to your question.
    The question was a good one.
    Often we'll tell you whether the difference between two expressions is small, large, or non-existant. I used the expression "splitting hairs" because I wanted you to learn or practice the idiom.

    best wishes
    edward

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Edward.
    Got it.

    By the way, I never knew their differences are like splitting hairs because they are confusing to me--non-native speaker.

  5. #5
    angliholic's Avatar
    angliholic is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,988
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: he missed out on the free lunch at work.

    Thanks, Edward, for your kindness and thoughtfulness.
    In truth, your analysis of this question is very awesome!

Similar Threads

  1. Family VS Work
    By kenny101 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2007, 13:52
  2. Work Quicly \ slowly ... check my Essay
    By Edil in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2007, 05:05
  3. Difference between work at, work with and work for
    By Mahnoor in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Feb-2007, 05:08
  4. free and freely
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Dec-2006, 05:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •