Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Smile Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.

    Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.


    Does the above amount to the following in meaning? Thanks.

    Tommy scolded Sarah until she started to cry.


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 399
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.

    Usually scold means to tell someone they've done something wrong, in a harsh, negative way.

    Calling names would be applying labels.
    Among my young sons, the favorite insult was "You're a girl!" That's name-calling.
    When I was seven, my girlfriend called my "Crummy." That's name-calling.

    "Don't talk on the phone when you're driving your car, you moron!" This sentence contains both scolding and name-calling.

    I hope you see the difference now.
    edward

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.




    Does the above amount to the following in meaning? Thanks.

    Tommy scolded Sarah until she started to cry.

  2. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.

    Quote Originally Posted by baqarah131 View Post
    Usually scold means to tell someone they've done something wrong, in a harsh, negative way.

    Calling names would be applying labels.
    Among my young sons, the favorite insult was "You're a girl!" That's name-calling.
    When I was seven, my girlfriend called my "Crummy." That's name-calling.

    "Don't talk on the phone when you're driving your car, you moron!" This sentence contains both scolding and name-calling.

    I hope you see the difference now.
    edward
    Thanks, Edward, for the crystal clear illustrations.

    By the way, is "crummy" the adjective form of "crumb?"


    • Join Date: Nov 2007
    • Posts: 399
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.

    Crummy means unattractive, uninteresting, socially awkward.
    Re the source, I had to look it up. thefreedictionary.com says "probably from crumb." It's often spelled crumby.

    Quote Originally Posted by angliholic View Post
    Thanks, Edward, for the crystal clear illustrations.

    By the way, is "crummy" the adjective form of "crumb?"

  3. angliholic's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Feb 2007
    • Posts: 2,988
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Tommy called Sarah names until she started to cry.

    Thanks, Edward.
    Roger!

Similar Threads

  1. I pay taxes in / of various names
    By HaraKiriBlade in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2005, 19:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •