Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: en(t)ertaining

Post Thanks / Like

en(t)ertaining

I believe the first 't' is not always actually pronounced in AE, much like 'twenty' or 'printer'. Is that correct?

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: en(t)ertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    I believe the first 't' is not always actually pronounced in AE, much like 'twenty' or 'printer'. Is that correct?

FRC
    Yup. That's correct. The sound process by which the sequence of sounds /nt/ becomes [nn] is called progressive assimilation:

entertainment => ennertainment
    twenty => twenny
    printer => prinner

The Why:
    [n] and [t] share the same place of articulation but differ in manner of articulation: [n] is a nasal sound (air passes through the nose), whereas [t] is an oral sound (air passes through the mouth). In terms of ease of speech, it's easier to maintain [n] than to stop and change manner to [t]. That is, [nn] is more preferred in terms of economy than is [nt].

Post Thanks / Like
    In the same vein, do you say "inneresting" in AE ?

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

FRC
    Speakers are known to pronounce it that way, yes. :)

Similarily, unbelievable => unbelievable ~ umbelievable. The sounds "m" and "b" share a labial (i.e. lip) feature, whereas "n" and "b" do not.

There's also, supposedly => suppozedly => suppozubly (-ub as in tub). /s/ is pronounced as [z] intervocalically (i.e. between two voiced sounds). /e/, a lax vowel, is neutralized to a wedge, for which I've used "u" to symbolize. "d" changes to the sound "b" by a process called progressive assimilation. That is, "b" and "p" share a labial feature.

supposedly ~ supposebly

All the best,

Post Thanks / Like

FRC
    That's an intresting histry. :)

What's the phonological rule being applied here?
    AH! I remembered it's segment-deletion. The deletion of a reduced vowel from certain phonetic contexts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Similarily, unbelievable => unbelievable ~ umbelievable. The sounds "m" and "b" share a labial (i.e. lip) feature, whereas "n" and "b" do not.

There's also, supposedly => suppozedly => suppozubly (-ub as in tub). /s/ is pronounced as [z] intervocalically (i.e. between two voiced sounds). /e/, a lax vowel, is neutralized to a wedge, for which I've used "u" to symbolize. "d" changes to the sound "b" by a process called progressive assimilation. That is, "b" and "p" share a labial feature.

supposedly ~ supposebly
    I didn't know that.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="blacknomi"]

FRC
    That's an intresting histry. :)

What's the phonological rule being applied here?
    AH! I remembered it's segment-deletion. The deletion of a reduced vowel from certain phonetic contexts.[/quote

The further South you go below the Mason-Dixon Line the more you will encounter this almost sloppy pronounciation. Y'all are in Dixie :wink:

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it's fairly common, and not particularly sloppy. Now, that's true that there's a wide variety of regional accents in the US, more or less "typical". For example, the Boston area accent sometimes sounds weird when you're not used to it ;)

FRC

Post Thanks / Like
    Really? You meant it's a regional accent. I didn't know that since I heard lots of native speakers here say so. And my pronunciation has been sloppier for a while. 8)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Really? You meant it's a regional accent. I didn't know that since I heard lots of native speakers here say so. And my pronunciation has been sloppier for a while. 8)
    All languages have those kinds of sound characteristics. It's universal. It has to do with ease of speech; the way sounds behave. 8)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast