Post Thanks / Like

Two left feet on the dance floor

"Two left feet" and "two left feet on the dance floor" probably are the same, all describing a clumsy person. Could you give me some examples other than on the dance floor?

There is another one, Charlie two shoes, what is it?

Thanks.

BMO

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two left feet on the dance floor

Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    "Two left feet" and "two left feet on the dance floor" probably are the same, all describing a clumsy person. Could you give me some examples other than on the dance floor?

There is another one, Charlie two shoes, what is it?

Thanks.

BMO
    Anthing to do with feet (e.g. walking, running, skiing, etc.). There's also two left thumbs (i.e. having to do with hands, fingers).

"Charlie Two Shoes," a nickname that U.S. Marines stationed in North China gave an 11-year old boy, Tsui Chi Hsii, nearly 55 years ago.

"Two shoes":
    Word experts say this comes from a children's book called "The History of Little Goody Two-Shoes," which was popular in the 1760s. In that era in England, Goody was short for Goodwife, a courtesy title used almost like "Mrs." The book's main character was so poor she had only one shoe. She was thrilled to get a matching pair and earned the nickname in the book's title, which basically meant "Little Mrs. Two Shoes."

Goody Two-Shoes is now used to indicate someone who's angelic or self-righteous, apparently out of a misunderstanding of the original usage of goody.
    Source

Post Thanks / Like
    learning...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank a lot, I thought Charlie two shoes was like two left feet. The boy during the war you mentioned has been in the U.S. after the former marines helped him over about 2 years ago.

BMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Thank a lot, I thought Charlie two shoes was like two left feet. The boy during the war you mentioned has been in the U.S. after the former marines helped him over about 2 years ago.

BMO
    You're welcome. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Ten thumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MW
    Ten thumbs
    Clumsy.