Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quests

• Post Thanks / Like

Quests

1) what is the differences between expel and deport?
    2) I am looking for a word which describes activities that someone like some Hollywood Personalities often do (use drugs, illegal sex, corruption etc). Its state is disapproving which shows how much people looked down to them.
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 02-Jan-2008 at 14:16.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quests

Its states is disapproving which shows how much people looked down to them.
    I don't understand this sentence.

Expel may mean from a place (he was expelled from school) You deport people to their original country.

No idea why you want to use these words in the context given.

Happy New Year.

cheers

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    2) I am looking for a word which describes activities that someone like some Hollywood Personalities often do (use drugs, illegal sex, corruption etc). Its states is disapproving which shows how much people looked down to them.
    #1 Expel and deport [in relation to immigration policies] are the same.

#2 I cannot think of a single word. You could say that xxxx has several vices, OR that xxxx has vicious tendencies. If you wanted to be more general, you could say "Hollywood is a vice-ridden society".

• Post Thanks / Like

May be the expression is lose yourself?
    I'm sorry, heidita, it's a typo

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi belly_ttt,

There is no difference in mentioned above context between "expel" and "deport".

expel = to force to leave a country or place by official decree

synonyms: banish, deport, exile, expatriate.

to deport = to expel from a country

Concerning the summary word for the mentioned in your post above activities of some Hollywood personalities my brief answer is : I can't generalize that with one single word but I can do that with two words. The former Sodom and the latter Gomorrah.

I have read the following definition for Hollywood: "a wicked and deprived place" and further "...confirmed my fantasy of Hollywood as Oz and Gomorrah."

I concentrated my attention upon a few verbs which would be expedient for describing the measures of precaution in order to hamper development of mentioned of you above uncivilized , vicious activities of some immoral and overweening Hollywood personalities.

"During the whole of that time they (see above) have to be attacked, denounced, despised, hunted, harried, blamed, looked down upon, excoriated and flayed."

I hope you might find alone the meaning of these verbs.

Attention, heads up (do you know this idiom?), I smell a rat. (I am suspicious). I suspect that you have the intention (I remember you interest above towards the words "expel" and "deport") that you have the intention to build up a penitentiary ("house of correction") on Catalina Island only for immoral and vicious Hollywood personalities.

Be careful, you shouldn't forget where you live.

Regards.

V.
    Last edited by vil; 03-Jan-2008 at 04:17.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all of you for answering my questions
    @Vil: Sorry, I don't know the idiom head up (yet I can deduce from the context: Pay attention). But is there any expression in English somewhat like: Lose themselves etc.? About the last paragraph of yours
    "Attention, head up (do you know this idiom?), I smell a rat. (I am suspicious). I suspect that you have the intention (I remember you interest above towards the words "expel" and "deport") that you have the intention to build up a penitentiary ("house of correction") on Catalina Island only for immoral and vicious Hollywood personalities.

Be careful, you shouldn't forget where you live. "
    Are you trying to put the verb in the context? Thank you. However, why did you tell me: "should not forget where I live?", any specific verb need to put in this context?
    Last edited by belly_ttt; 03-Jan-2008 at 03:06.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi belly_ttt,

@Vil: Sorry, I don't know the idiom head up (yet I can deduce from the context: Pay attention). But is there any expression in English somewhat like: Lose themselves etc.?

Sorry, I have slipped a "s" in my previous post. The properly expression is "heads up" which you could use as an adjective with the following meaning: "showing an alert, competent style" as in " play heads-up basketball" .

The idiom "Heads up" expresses "a warning to watch out for potential danger", as in

"Heads up, that tree is coming down now!"

Concerning your interest towards the expression "lose themselves" in the mentioned above context I have fabricated a better phrase "the lost souls". There was a film with similar title directed by Janusz Kaminski. There was also a Bulgarian feature film with similar title (produced 30 years before this one of America). The background problems in this film was the Civil war in Spain in 1936, where was a group of American intellectuals doctors and nurses. By the way there was touched the problem with the drugs.

The last my sentence is a friendly warning and reminder. U.S is a country of the unlimited possibilities and freedom of speech, but difficulties are liable to occur, if someone infringes a custom, and disturbs the peace.

Regards.

V.

• Post Thanks / Like

HI vil, of course I know that. But I never dream of sending those Hollywood personalities away to prision, you do not have to worry about that...
    The lost soul is great, but it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a verb or a phrase that has the same meaning as lose themselves

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

Hi belly_ttt,

Your latter post poured oil on troubled water. I feel secure about your future in US.

I surmise that the sought after verb, which you looked for doggedly in the last time is "transgress"

transgress = pass beyond limits or boundaries ;
    act in disregard of law and rules;
    to refuse or fail to obey;
    to violate a moral or divine law
    to fail to fulfill (a promise) or conform to ( a regulation)
    commit a sin

Regards.

V.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    2) I am looking for a word which describes activities that someone like some Hollywood Personalities often do (use drugs, illegal sex, corruption etc). Its state is disapproving which shows how much people looked down to them.
    belly,

A significant number of Hollywood personalities are currently engaged in 'self-destructing' activities. Americans clearly recognize the 'self-destructive' behavior of these celebrities and the negative impact it is having upon our society.

Cheers,
    Amigos4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast