Hybrid View

Anonymous Guest

Default there is a lot of people or there are a lot of people?

Who would please explain the difference to me? Do you say there is a lot of people or there are a lot of people?Which one is correct? Only one? Both? Why? thanks :P

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: there is a lot of people or there are a lot of people?

Quote Originally Posted by charliese
    Who would please explain the difference to me? Do you say there is a lot of people or there are a lot of people?Which one is correct? Only one? Both? Why? thanks :P
    it should be there are. A lot of = many.

www.google.com, exact search results:

there are a lot of people - 169,000 listings.
    there is a lot of people -5,880 listings.

milky Guest

Quote Originally Posted by charliese
    "Are" is correct, but many slip into "is" in casual speech-especially in the contracted form:

"There's many people who..."

Try saying "There're" rapidly and you'll understand the slips.

Post Thanks / Like

I strongly disagree.

The subject in this sentence is lot - not two lots, but a lot. There is a lot, just like there is a bird. The confusion stems from prepositional phrase that modifies the subject. What kind of lot is it? It is a lot of people. It could also be a lot of food, of cars,of emotion or of emotions, but the subject, lot, is still singular and thus must agree with the singular verb is, not are.

It is not proper English to say, "There are a set of dishes;" rather, "There is a set of dishes". Just the same, "There is a lot of people."

That said, correct English grammar is unfortunately still defined by common usage, and so I believe the technically incorrect wording "There are a lot of people" has become accepted and even, regrettably, correct. In other words, so many people have used and continue to use it improperly that the improper has become proper.

There you have it, charliese (albeit nearly three years late): both are correct.

Post Thanks / Like

In addition, this is from http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark...5092/gram.html
    There is a lot of birds here or there are a lot of birds here. Both are correct. The first is correct since "lot" is singular. The second is correct because it is gaining acceptance through popular use.

All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Well,
    I consulted BRITISH NATIONAL CORPUS and:

There are a lot of... 279
    There is a lot of...190

...people:
    There are a lot of people: 50
    There is a lot of people: 0

Numbers, well. I have got no idea!
    Let's agree: Both are correct ;)

Post Thanks / Like

mafatu69: I strongly disagree.

The subject in this sentence is 'lot'. The expressions 'a lot of' and 'lots of' are used before nouns to mean ‘a large number or amount of.’ In common with other words denoting quantities, 'lot' itself does not normally function as a head noun, meaning that it does not itself determine whether the following verb is singular or plural. Thus, although 'lot' is singular in : 'a lot of people', the verb that follows is not singular. In this case, the word 'people' acts as the head noun and, being plural, ensures that the following verb is also plural: : 'a lot of people were assembled' (not : a lot of people was assembled).

tripper1 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mafatu69 View Post
    I strongly disagree.

The subject in this sentence is lot - not two lots, but a lot. There is a lot, just like there is a bird. The confusion stems from prepositional phrase that modifies the subject. What kind of lot is it? It is a lot of people. It could also be a lot of food, of cars,of emotion or of emotions, but the subject, lot, is still singular and thus must agree with the singular verb is, not are.

It is not proper English to say, "There are a set of dishes;" rather, "There is a set of dishes". Just the same, "There is a lot of people."

That said, correct English grammar is unfortunately still defined by common usage, and so I believe the technically incorrect wording "There are a lot of people" has become accepted and even, regrettably, correct. In other words, so many people have used and continue to use it improperly that the improper has become proper.

There you have it, charliese (albeit nearly three years late): both are correct.
    I understand we choose IS or ARE based on the following. Kindly correct me and explain if you think it is not correct. Thanks.

Here/There are false subjects. The subjects in these sentences are therefore after the verb compared to the usual, which is before the verb. In our case here:- Do we not look at the nouns after "a lot of" eg. ?

There are a lot of people. (People/Things = countable, therefore ARE)
    There are a lot of things to do.
    There is a lot of food. (Food/Money = uncountable, therefore IS)
    There is a lot of money in the drawer.

(If the nouns after "at lot of" is countable, we use "ARE" and if the nouns after. is uncountable, we use only "IS"

Looking forward to receive your explanations.
    P/s Kindly look at my thread on Prepositions and give your explanations please. Thank you.