Thread: meaning

Hanka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default meaning

Hi

could you please tell me whether "does not" in the following sentence also refers to "correct"? (i.e. .... or Company B and/or the advertiser do not correct the product ...)

If Company A does not notify in written form of the non-compliance of the product with the relevant legal regulation within 1 business day following the delivery, or Company B and/or the advertiser correct the product according to the instructions of Company A, Company A shall be liable for the product to be in accordance with the applicable regulations.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

oregeezer is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: meaning

Company A (the purchaser) must write a letter within 1 day to complain of an unsatisfactory product. Company B (the seller of the product) shall make the product all right to the satisfaction of A. If B does correct the error then A must be liable under regulations (for payment, etc.)
    Last edited by oregeezer; 08-Jan-2008 at 13:00. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! And is there, gramatically, a possibility that "does not" refers to "correct"?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi

could you please tell me whether "does not" in the following sentence also refers to "correct"? (i.e. .... or Company B and/or the advertiser do not correct the product ...)

If Company A does not notify in written form of the non-compliance of the product with the relevant legal regulation within 1 business day following the delivery, or Company B and/or the advertiser correct the product according to the instructions of Company A, Company A shall be liable for the product to be in accordance with the applicable regulations.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka
    I think there should be a second "do not". The fact that you had to ask the question indicates a possible doubt which will be avoided by "do not correct".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I think there should be a second "do not". The fact that you had to ask the question indicates a possible doubt which will be avoided by "do not correct".
    But I need to translate this sentence (as it stands) into my native language, so I would like to know which meaning is correct or more likely. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

If you translate the sentence into your language, can you do it without the possible confusion?

I appreciate that you are required to keep to the original, but in this case the clause is not very clear and it might be better to avoid confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you translate the sentence into your language, can you do it without the possible confusion?

I appreciate that you are required to keep to the original, but in this case the clause is not very clear and it might be better to avoid confusion.
    Yes, I can do that but I need to know the correct original meaning of the English sentence. Whether it is "correct" or "do not correct"

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is meant to be "do not correct", and that there is an error in the original writing of the contract. It is logically more sensible with "do not".

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks a lot for patience