Thread: meaning

• Post Thanks / Like

meaning

Hi

could you please tell me whether "does not" in the following sentence also refers to "correct"? (i.e. .... or Company B and/or the advertiser do not correct the product ...)

If Company A does not notify in written form of the non-compliance of the product with the relevant legal regulation within 1 business day following the delivery, or Company B and/or the advertiser correct the product according to the instructions of Company A, Company A shall be liable for the product to be in accordance with the applicable regulations.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: meaning

Company A (the purchaser) must write a letter within 1 day to complain of an unsatisfactory product. Company B (the seller of the product) shall make the product all right to the satisfaction of A. If B does correct the error then A must be liable under regulations (for payment, etc.)
    Last edited by oregeezer; 08-Jan-2008 at 14:00. Reason: typo

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! And is there, gramatically, a possibility that "does not" refers to "correct"?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanka View Post
    Hi

could you please tell me whether "does not" in the following sentence also refers to "correct"? (i.e. .... or Company B and/or the advertiser do not correct the product ...)

If Company A does not notify in written form of the non-compliance of the product with the relevant legal regulation within 1 business day following the delivery, or Company B and/or the advertiser correct the product according to the instructions of Company A, Company A shall be liable for the product to be in accordance with the applicable regulations.

Thanks a lot!

Hanka
    I think there should be a second "do not". The fact that you had to ask the question indicates a possible doubt which will be avoided by "do not correct".

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I think there should be a second "do not". The fact that you had to ask the question indicates a possible doubt which will be avoided by "do not correct".
    But I need to translate this sentence (as it stands) into my native language, so I would like to know which meaning is correct or more likely. Thanks!

• Post Thanks / Like

If you translate the sentence into your language, can you do it without the possible confusion?

I appreciate that you are required to keep to the original, but in this case the clause is not very clear and it might be better to avoid confusion.

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    If you translate the sentence into your language, can you do it without the possible confusion?

I appreciate that you are required to keep to the original, but in this case the clause is not very clear and it might be better to avoid confusion.
    Yes, I can do that but I need to know the correct original meaning of the English sentence. Whether it is "correct" or "do not correct"

• Post Thanks / Like

I think it is meant to be "do not correct", and that there is an error in the original writing of the contract. It is logically more sensible with "do not".

• Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks a lot for patience