Thread: throw vs. roll

Anonymous Guest

Default throw vs. roll

I'd like to know the difference of using the words, "throwing" and "rolling" in the phrases below.

throwing a die/ rolling a die

Is the sentece correct ? I don't mean in grammar. I'd like to know the content or usage.

The boy is rolling a stone.

Thank you for all!

Post Thanks / Like

You can say both.

The boy is rolling a stone
    He's pushing a big stone, which makes it roll. It would be better to use a definite article eg. "he's rolling the stone out of the way". You generally don't go around rolling stones for the fun of it ;)

FRC

Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    You can say both.

The boy is rolling a stone
    He's pushing a big stone, which makes it roll. It would be better to use a definite article eg. "he's rolling the stone out of the way". You generally don't go around rolling stones for the fun of it ;)

FRC
    I agree with your dice rolling/throwing answer, but I'd just like to add a little something. Generally speaking, throwing means that something is sent through the air and rolling, that it is propelled along the surface.
    :wink:

shane is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, throw can be overarm (your arm goes above the level of your shoulder), whereas roll can only be underarm (your arm does not go higher than shoulder level). ;)

Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by shane
    Also, throw can be overarm (your arm goes above the level of your shoulder), whereas roll can only be underarm (your arm does not go higher than shoulder level). ;)
    Right. :)

Rolling stones gather no moss.

Post Thanks / Like

Note that you also roll a joint before smoking it, and you throw it away once you're done. Some people say this makes them roll on the floor laughing for whatever reason, while others claim this is just good for throwing up. They even bake rolls with pot, which can throw you in space for hours. But don't rush to Walmart yet; there is no plan to roll them out in the near future.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Note that you also roll a joint before smoking it, and you throw it away once you're done. Some people say this makes them roll on the floor laughing for whatever reason, while others claim this is just good for throwing up. They even bake rolls with pot, which can throw you in space for hours. But don't rush to Walmart yet; there is no plan to roll them out in the near future.

FRC
    Ooh. Nice one, FRC. :D 8) What about?

roll your eyes (upward and downward movements) :D