belly_ttt is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Meachum and Johnson were verdicted life sentences but the court talked/said nothing o

Meachum and Johnson were verdicted life sentences but the court talked/said nothing of Swagger
    Which is the right one and can you differentatebetween talk and say?

Amigos4 is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Meachum and Johnson were verdicted life sentences but the court talked/said nothi

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    Meachum and Johnson were verdicted life sentences but the court talked/said nothing of Swagger
    Which is the right one and can you differentatebetween talk and say?
    Hey, belly!

Meachum and Johnson were convicted and sentenced to life in prison; but the courtsaid nothing about Swagger.

The basic difference between 'talk' and 'said': 'said' means to state as in an opinion or judgment. "The judge said Johnson was 'not guilty'.

'Talk' means to communicate or exchange ideas, by speaking: "Today we will talk about poetry."

Cheers,
    Amigos4

belly_ttt is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Meachum and Johnson were verdicted life sentences but the court talked/said nothi

I was wrong. Verdict is a noun, . Can I use like this "Meachum and Johnson were both returned a verdicts...."?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_ttt View Post
    I was wrong. Verdict is a noun, . Can I use like this "Meachum and Johnson were both returned a verdicts...."?
    No: "The verdict was that Meachum and Johnson were both guilty and they were sentenced to life imprisonment".

OR

"The jury returned the verdict that..."