Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: eternity??

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    eternity??

    The sentences:

    I fly to my book as the opium-smoker to his pipe. I would sooner read the catalogue of the Army and Navy Stores than nothing at all. At one time I never went out without a secondhand bookseller's list in my pocket. I know no reading more fruity. Of course to read in this way is as reprehensive as doping, and I never cease to wonder at the impertience of great readers who, becouse they are such, look down on the illiterate. From the standpoint of what eternity is it better to have read a thousand books than to have ploughed a million furrows?

    What does "eternity" mean there? IMO, it means "the eternal truth", but my English-Japanese dictionary says when "eternity" means "the eternal truth", it has to be plural.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    Weird dictionary! I'm not sure the last sentence makes much sense grammatically. Try 'what eternity is, is it...'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Weird dictionary! I'm not sure the last sentence makes much sense grammatically. Try 'what eternity is, is it...'.
    Almost the same as "The truth is, is it.."?


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: eternity??

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    The sentences:

    I fly to my book as the opium-smoker to his pipe. I would sooner read the catalogue of the Army and Navy Stores than nothing at all. At one time I never went out a secondhand bookseller's list in my pocket. I know no reading more fruity. Of course to read in this way is as reprehensive as doping, and I never cease to wonder at the impertience of great readers who, becouse they are such, look down on the illiterate. From the standpoint of what eternity is it better to have read a thousand books than to have ploughed a million furrows?

    What does "eternity" mean there? IMO, it means "the eternal truth", but my English-Japanese dictionary says when "eternity" means "the eternal truth", it has to be plural.
    At one time I never went out a secondhand bookseller's list in my pocket. - This seems out of context to me.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: eternity??

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    At one time I never went out a secondhand bookseller's list in my pocket. - This seems out of context to me.
    Why? He is a book-addict, you know. He is always thinking about books. :wink:


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: eternity??

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    At one time I never went out a secondhand bookseller's list in my pocket. - This seems out of context to me.
    Why? He is a book-addict, you know. He is always thinking about books. :wink:
    I understand what you want to say but "never went out .." is missing something. "never went out without ...", "never went without ..." ...

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: eternity??

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    I understand what you want to say but "never went out .." is missing something. "never went out without ...", "never went without ..." ...
    Oops!!

    Originally, as you pointed out, it's "I never went out without...".

    I thought I typed it right, but during the process of editing or something, I think, I deleted "without" by mistake.

    Sorry about the confusion, twostep.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Mar 2004
    • Posts: 1,074
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: eternity??

    tdol, I need your confirmation of this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Taka
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Weird dictionary! I'm not sure the last sentence makes much sense grammatically. Try 'what eternity is, is it...'.
    Almost the same as "The truth is, is it.."?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    I'm not quite sure of the context for your 'the truth is,is it' phrase, but the original 'eternity'statement doesn't make sense unless there are a number of eternities.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I'm not quite sure of the context for your 'the truth is,is it' phrase, but the original 'eternity'statement doesn't make sense unless there are a number of eternities.
    Are we getting into some philisophical post WWII text?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •