Post Thanks / Like

Default Essay on modifying natural processes

This is for the CPE.
    TASK
    You have collected the headlines below(omitted, let me know if you need to take a look at them, too) as part of a class project on the ways in which natural processes are being modified as a result of advances in science. For the project, your tutor has also asked you to write an essay about either the advantages or disadvantages of such modifications.

My essay...

There have been many scientific advances over the last decade, but the most dramatic are connected with our increasing ability to modify nature. Developments in the fields of agriculture, genetics and medical science have brought a wide range of benefits for both individuals and society.

Recent studies have shown that crop yields have been increased dramatically, while pests have steadily decreased. More chemical sprays are being used today. Hence, crops have fewer diseases.

The average lifespan is expected to be over eighty years old in a reasonable amount of time owing to the genetic breakthroughs. According to recent research, genetically modified corn has reduced the threat of famine in arid zones and third-world countries.

There is every likelihood that before the end of the century, people will be able to choose what characteristics their offspring will be born with. Furthermore, scientists predict that new organs will be grown in laboratories.

As a consequence, patients on transplants lists will be given more hope. As a matter of fact, the newspapers reported recently that a transplant patient had celebrated his tenth anniversary of his operation. Though, people live longer nowadays, they still age in appearance. However, one can resort to cosmetic surgery to improve their looks.

There has been scientific proof that the population will be healthier as soon as hereditary illness is eradicated. Finally, some infectious diseases are being brought under control, which proves that immunisation programmes are more effective.

In conclusion, scientists’ ability to make nature work for them has had clear benefits. Certainly some people do question the ethics of certain experiments, and others demand to know just how far we are prepared to go with scientific change. Nevertheless, the benefits to both individuals and the whole of society outweigh these concerns.

Thank you a million times in advance.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Essay on modifying natural processes

Quote Originally Posted by Greekgirl View Post
    There have been many scientific advances over the last decade, but the most dramatic are connected with our increasing ability to modify nature. Developments in the fields of agriculture, genetics and medical science have brought a wide range of benefits to both individuals and society.

Recent studies have shown that crop yields have been increased dramatically, while crop-destroying pests have steadily declined in numbers. More chemical sprays are being used today. Hence, crops have fewer diseases.

The average lifespan is expected to be over eighty years old in a reasonable amount of time owing to the genetic breakthroughs.

The aveerage lifespan is expected to be over eighty years soon due to genetic breakthroughs.
    There is every likelihood that before the end of the century, people will be able to choose what characteristics their offspring will be born with. Furthermore, scientists predict that new organs will be grown in laboratories.

As a consequence, patients on transplants lists will be given more hope. As a matter of fact, the newspapers reported recently that a transplant patient had celebrated his tenth anniversary of his operation. Though, people live longer nowadays, they still age in appearance. However, one can resort to cosmetic surgery to improve their looks.
    Delete the comma after "Though" in the next to last sentence.

There has been scientific proof that the population will be healthier as soon as hereditary illness is eradicated. Finally, some infectious diseases are being brought under control, which proves that immunisation programmes are more effective.

Delete "more" in the last sentence.

In conclusion, scientistsí ability to make nature work for them has had clear benefits. Certainly some people do question the ethics of certain experiments, and others demand to know just how far we are prepared to go with scientific change. Nevertheless, the benefits to both individuals and the whole of society outweigh these concerns.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!
    Actually, the introduction and conclusion were alreay suggested on the book to help me get started, but I'd changed a few things. There's no way I would ever have written such beautiful conclusion on my own if I hadn't had any help.

I'm really thankful for all your help!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much!
    Actually, the introduction and conclusion were already suggested in the book to help me get started, but I changed a few things. There's no way I would ever have written such beautiful conclusion on my own if I hadn't had any help.

I'm really thankful for all your help!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nobody is perfect, and I don't necessarily catch every mistake. What should be changed in the following paragaph (and what should it be changed to)?