Use of singular or plural noun after 'any'

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmondng

Member Type
Other
I frequently hear people saying that a noun after the word 'any' should be singular, but I've seen plural nouns used after the word 'any' as well. Please advise whether the following sentence is grammatically acceptable in using the phrase 'connecting parties' (plural) after the word 'any'.

--
Computers or any connecting parties set to standby mode will not provide significant power savings.
--

Here's some background information on the sentence. In the case here, the preceding sentence refers to an object which is a network device with expected multiple connections of other devices to it.

Appreciate your expert advice. Thank you.

oregeezer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
As a slightly computer literate native speaker of American English I find the sentence a little confusing. "Parties" usually refers to a group of PEOPLE. You say there is ONE device (a network device) which in turn may have multiple connections. Since the sentence is NEGATIVE (will not provide power savings) why not just say:

" Computers or any connected device set to standby mode will not provide significant power savings. "

Using the same word to refer to the same component helps the less sophisticated computer users when you are writing computer manuals. You only need a variety of terms when writing novels!

Last edited:

makaveli

Member Type
Other
I could be wrong but I always thought it was the opposite. The use of any should be followed by a plural noun or uncountable e.g.

Do you have any brothers or sisters?

Have you got any unusual habits?

You wouldn't say:

Have you got any unusual habit?

Where you may be getting confused is in sentences where any is followed by an uncountable noun such as rice.

I haven't got any rice.

Regards

Mak.

Last edited:

edmondng

Member Type
Other
Thank you for your responses.

I agree the phrase 'connecting parties' probably refers to people, and in this case, possibly the people connecting their devices to the network device.

Suppose this is the case, can you please advise whether the sentence is grammatically correct?

The reason for this question is primarily to decide on whether the sentence is grammatically correct, as the 'article' has already been published. There are, however, dispute among a few of us over the use, so what needs to known for now is whether the sentence is grammatically acceptable.

Your expert advice is appreciated.

edmondng

Member Type
Other
Advice still needed on singular-plural use of noun after 'any'

I still need to know whether the sentence is grammatically correct. Please advise.

Thank you.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your sentence is just fine. There is no rule about using singular or plural with any.

Any student who wishes to learn will have to study.
Any students who wish to learn will have to study.

makaveli

Member Type
Other
After looking this up Mykwyner is correct. However any is not usually used with singular nouns that's why we have a, an and the. Its use is generally for things that are indefinite in number (we are unsure of the amount) such as: Have you got any beer?

So although completely fine I would say that it's a little surprising that you hear it frequently; as it is clearly not used frequently in this way!

It certainly helped me refresh.

Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.