Thread: political joke

oichi Guest

political joke

This is probably a question more of economics than of English but could you explain this political joke for me?
    It's a comment made in the PBS news program about the Democratic National Convention.

MARK SHIELDS: Just to complete my thought on the Social Security, the Fourth Commandment, Jim, honor thy father and mother, and John Kerry very imaginatively said that somehow prevents the privatization of Social Security.

I have never heard that. I don't think the council of Trent could have come up with that.

DAVID BROOKS: I think the Fourth Commandment put 2 percent share in private accounts, but not....
    The joke I didn't get is Brooks's.
    What does he mean?
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/polit...erry_7-29.html

Thanks.

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm afraid it doesn't mean much to me either.;-(

oichi Guest
    Thanks anyway tdol.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: political joke

I think the Fourth Commandement (i.e. the use of God and the Bible) put a 2% share in private accounts (i.e. wins votes for the Republicans), but not.... (i.e. for the Democrats).

Republicans would like to privatize social security; they also make a great deal of reference to God and the Bible, whereas Democrats usually don't. That John Kerry used the Fourth Commandment to condemn the Republican's want to privatize social security resembled what is expected of a Republican, but not what is expected of a Democrat.

In short, David Brooks' comment is about using the Bible (i.e. The Fourth Commandment ) for political advantage. You can use the Fourth Commandment to support privatization or you can use it to condemn privatization. Either way goes.

In my opinion, Kerry's use of the Fourth Commandment was definitely a play on this whole topic.

Vote Kerry, America! 8)

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    It loses something in translation.

Post Thanks / Like

David Brooks

David Brooks is a Sr. Editor for the New York Times and one of the golden boys of political reporting. He seems to tend towards the Republican side a bit. The term Cash and Kerry is one of his creations.
    Trying not be political - one of the Republican rebuttals to Kerry's platform is the money issue on how to finance his proposed reforms. Bush is bringing religion to politics. You deduct 2 percent of the Fourth Commandment - that brings out the current problem is the government allow to interfere in religious issues such as student vouchers for religious schools, Democrats need to add the cost of their promises before making them.

oichi Guest

thanks casiopea!

This is a VERY late reply but thanks very much Casiopea.
    I think I understood what the joke was about.

The Republican National Convention is taking place now and that reminded me of this question I posted some time ago...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: thanks casiopea!

Quote Originally Posted by oichi
    This is a VERY late reply but thanks very much Casiopea.
    I think I understood what the joke was about.

The Republican National Convention is taking place now and that reminded me of this question I posted some time ago...
    You're welcome. :D