sympathy is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default English question

Transcript:

U.S. lawmakers take Yahoo to task

U.S. Congressional Hearing Room
    Washington, D.C.

REP. TOM LANTOS, CHAIRMAN, HOUSE FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMITTEE: If you think our witnesses today are uncomfortable sitting in this climate controlled room and accounting for their company's spineless and irresponsible actions, imagine how life is for Shi Tao, spending ten long years in a Chinese dungeon for exchanging information publicly—exactly what Yahoo! claims to support in places like China.

JERRY YANG, CHIEF EXECUTIVE, YAHOO INC: I want to take a moment to recognize the family of the dissidents, who sit behind me. And I want to say that we're committed to do what we can to secure their freedom. And I want to personally apologize to them for what they and their family are going through.

MICHAEL CALLAHAN, GENERAL COUNSEL, YAHOO INC: And I also emphasized my understanding that failure by the Yahoo! China operation in Beijing to comply with these lawful orders from government authorities may have subjected local employees of that company to civil and criminal penalties, including imprisonment.

LANTOS: Why do you insist on repeating the phrase lawful orders? These were demands by a police state to make of an American company a co-conspirator in having a freedom-lobbying Chinese journalist put in prison.

CALLAHAN: And we sincerely regret the consequences, as you point out, of the Yahoo! China operation having complied with those orders.

We haven't come here to throw out this problem and say, “Well, someone else has to deal with it, then.” We recognize that, as some of the industry's leaders, we have an obligation and an opportunity to try to effect change here. Has the past been perfect? Obviously not, given the situation that we've talked about. But I would like to think that there is a real opportunity, with the collaboration that's ongoing between the human rights groups and the leading companies, in partnership with Congress on the new bill, in partnership with the State Department, to try to make real progress on these issues.

YANG: I'm very open to understanding how we can be helpful.

REP. BRAD SHERMAN, HOUSE FOREIGN AFFAIRS COMMITTEE: I told you how you can be helpful. You can meet their humanitarian needs. Sir, give me a yes or no. Are you going to do it, or are you not going to do it?

YANG: I'm willing to consider it, Mr. Congressman.

SHERMAN: You're willing to consider it. That's a no by any other standard.
    I have several questions about this.

If you think our witnesses today are uncomfortable sitting in this climate controlled room and accounting for their company's spineless and irresponsible actions
    1)What is "uncomfortable sitting" ? What does "sitting" mean here ? If this is the present continuous tense, then it must be "uncomfortably" ? What is "climate controlled room" ? Is this a figurative phrase ? I don't understand it ? And what does the speaker mean by "spineless"

2)
    Why do you insist on repeating the phrase lawful orders? These were demands by a police state to make of an American company a co-conspirator in having a freedom-lobbying Chinese journalist put in prison.
    What is "police state" mean ?

Thanks

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: English question

Quote:
    If you think our witnesses today are uncomfortable sitting in this climate controlled room and accounting for their company's spineless and irresponsible actions
    1)What is "uncomfortable sitting" ? What does "sitting" mean here ? If this is the present continuous tense, then it must be "uncomfortably" ? What is "climate controlled room" ? Is this a figurative phrase ? I don't understand it ? And what does the speaker mean by "spineless"

"climate controlled room" = air-conditioned room.

This is the report of a congressional hearing, and the witnesses are sitting in the room. It is a rhetorical question asking if the witnesses feel uncomfortable [psychologically] sitting in this nice cool room while people affected by their company's actions are in really uncomfortable [physically] conditions.

"spineless" = showing no strength of character, or in this case doing nothing.

2) Quote:
    Why do you insist on repeating the phrase lawful orders? These were demands by a police state to make of an American company a co-conspirator in having a freedom-lobbying Chinese journalist put in prison.
    What does "police state" mean ?
    A
    country in which the people are not free to do what they want because the government controls them in every possible way.

sympathy is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but I still don't understand.
    "uncomfortable" here must be "uncomfortably", right ? Why do they use "uncomfortable"
    What does the judge mean by saying so ?
    What is the "witnesses" in American legal system ? What does "you" here refer to ? To the two "witnesses" from Yahoo, or to Shi Tao's family members ?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

#1 The author is suggesting that the witnesses should be feeling ashamed and uncomfortable at being in a comfortable room when those people affected by their company's actions are not.

It is not "uncomfortably" - which is physical discomfort. It is "uncomfortable with something" = moral/mental/psychological discomfort.

#2 I am sorry - what do you mean by "what are Witnesses in the American legal system"? The same as witnesses in any legal system = they are people who are summonsed to give evidence of something that they have seen or experienced.

#3 It is a general "you" = all you who are in front of me at this moment under investigation.