.A. Write each of these sentence using indirect speech.
1. " I like porridge for breakfast," said Dad.
a. Dad said that he likes porridge for breakfast.
2. " I've forgotten my lines!" groaned the actor.
a. The actor groaned that he has forgotten his lines.
3." Would all passengers go to platform 8," boomed the voice over the loudspeaker.
a. The voice over the loudspeaker boomed that all passengers should/must go to platform 8.
4. " How long do I have to wait to be served ?" snapped the customer .
a. The customer asked angrily how long he had to wait to be served.
a. The customer snapped how long he has to wait to be served.
I don't know how to change words like snapped ,groaned when one changes the sentence from direct to indirect speech. Is it necessary to change them.
B. Write each of these sentences using direct speech.
1. Chris said that his book was very dull.
a. " My book is very dull " said Chris.
2. Owen wanted to know how far they still had to go.
a. " How much further do we have to go?" asked Owen.
3. The singer asked if many people had come to the show .
a. " Have many people come to the show?" asked the singer.
4. Martha encouraged Sandy to tell her what had happened.
a. " What happened sandy? "asked Martha. "Tell me what happened, Sandy," said Martha
Is it necessary to leave space before and after speech marks. No - not within them: "xx yyy oooo".
Thanks in advance.
- For Teachers