Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like

    Could it be misinterpreted?

    They gossip about romances in the class.

    I think the blue part may cause confusion. It could be interpreted as:

    They gossip about romances. And they do that when they are having classes.

    Or:

    They gossip about the romances, which involve their classmates. ("in the class" serves to modifies "romances")

    Am I making any sense here? If it does cause misunderstanding, how to make it right? Thanks. :)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Could it be misinterpreted?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    They gossip about romances in the class.

    I think the blue part may cause confusion. It could be interpreted as:

    They gossip about romances. And they do that when they are having classes.

    Or:

    They gossip about the romances, which involve their classmates. ("in the class" serves to modifies "romances")

    Am I making any sense here? If it does cause misunderstanding, how to make it right? Thanks. :)
    It's not ambiguous, just odd. Try,

    They gossip about romances in class. (OK)

    Ambiguous
    They gossip about romances [u]in the classes. (OK)

    1. in the classes of society.
    2. in the classes they take.

    All the best, :D

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Cas. I don't quite understand "society" here. Could you explain "in the classes of society" somewhat? Maybe you give me some examples using "society". :)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Thanks, Cas. I don't quite understand "society" here. Could you explain "in the classes of society" somewhat? Maybe you give me some examples using "society". :)
    Classes of society (based on economic status)
    lower class
    lower-middle class
    middle class
    upper-middle class
    upper class

    :D

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Classes of society (based on economic status)
    lower class
    lower-middle class
    middle class
    upper-middle class
    upper class
    :D
    Oh, I see. Does "They gossip about romances in class" suggest that "they talk about romances during their class time"?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Classes of society (based on economic status)
    lower class
    lower-middle class
    middle class
    upper-middle class
    upper class
    :D
    Oh, I see. Does "They gossip about romances in class" suggest that "they talk about romances during their class time"?
    Yes. :D While they are in the classroom and supposed to be studying, they are talking about romances, either their own romances, someone else's romances or romance novels, movies, TV shows. :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •