Post Thanks / Like

Question Rules / expectations when answering questions

Dear Teachers

I am asking for your opinions, what you remembering being taught at school and what expectations you have with your students with regards to answering questions.

I would appreciate it if you could give me your opinion based on what you as a native speaker would do when answering a comprehension question connected with a story, and also what your expectations for non-native speakers are.

I am talking about things like:
    1. how much of the questions should be included in the answer...
    2. should the answer use the same words as in the story or the students own words etc etc....

Can you remember any 'rules' you were taught when it came to answering questions?

Can any recommend any good websites or books that deal with this matter.

I am just trying to get a broader perspective on this topic and have had no luck finding information on the web......

thanks in advance
    riceball

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rules / expectations when answering questions

Quote Originally Posted by riceball72 View Post
    Dear Teachers

I am asking for your opinions, what you remembering being taught at school and what expectations you have with your students with regards to answering questions.

I would appreciate it if you could give me your opinion based on what you as a native speaker would do when answering a comprehension question connected with a story, and also what your expectations for non-native speakers are.

I am talking about things like:
    1. how much of the questions should be included in the answer...
    2. should the answer use the same words as in the story or the students own words etc etc....

Can you remember any 'rules' you were taught when it came to answering questions?

Can any recommend any good websites or books that deal with this matter.

I am just trying to get a broader perspective on this topic and have had no luck finding information on the web......

thanks in advance
    riceball
    Hey Riceball,

To my mind, an answer only has to be as complete as needed to ensure comprehension for the people involved in the conversation. If "uh-huh" does it then that's all that's needed.

This is especially true for ESLs. Requiring full answers isn't natural. If you look at transcripts of everyday speech, you'll note that speaking in full sentences is not what native speakers do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. I am sorry I should have stipulated that I am asking about written answers, not spoken.

Do you have any comments about written work?

regards
    Riceball

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riceball72 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I am sorry I should have stipulated that I am asking about written answers, not spoken.

Do you have any comments about written work?

regards
    Riceball
    I guess it depends on the level of the student. Again, to my mind, effective communication is the overriding factor. "Penalizing" students can have a detrimental effect on their motivation, willingness to try so it's a fine line that you have to draw somewhere.

Some examples might be helpful.