Unregistered Guest

Post I can't stand to be lonely

1>I think that "I can't stand losing you" means 'I don't like to lose you.. Is it right??
    If 'can't stand' means 'not like', we use ing form of a verb (not 'to..') after 'can't stand'
    so..I wanna know the meaning of 'I can't stand to be lonely'..I wonder if "I can't stand being lonely" is right expression.
    I think that it might mean ' I don't like to be lonely'. What do you think??

2> what is the difference between 'clean up' and 'clean'?
    ①Everybody helped to clean up after the party
    ②Everybody helped to clean after the party

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I can't stand to be lonely

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    1>I think that "I can't stand losing you" means 'I don't like to lose you.. Is it right??
    If 'can't stand' means 'not like', we use ing form of a verb (not 'to..') after 'can't stand'
    so..I wanna know the meaning of 'I can't stand to be lonely'..I wonder if "I can't stand being lonely" is right expression.
    I think that it might mean ' I don't like to be lonely'. What do you think??
    "I can't stand losing you" means that the person feels as if he will not be able to live (because he will be so emotionally hurt) if this person leaves him. "Can't stand" means to be unable to bear something. "I can't stand to be lonely" is correct usage, as is "I can't stand being lonely," and both phrases have the same meaning, which is that I don't like to be lonely.

2> what is the difference between 'clean up' and 'clean'?
    ①Everybody helped to clean up after the party
    ②Everybody helped to clean after the party
    Both phrases mean the same thing, but in AmE, "clean up" is the more common usage when referring to removing the debris after a party. "Clean up" implies that there are empty glasses, bottles and cans to be picked up and washed or thrown away.