Thread: help

Post Thanks / Like

help

Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Integrative Biology, and Molecular/Cellular Biology...

What does the slash between molecular and cellular mean?
    Doesn't it mean "or?"
    However, I can't find "molecular or cellular biology" in my school's majors list , but I can only find "molecular and cellular biology."

Besides, please take a look at this:
    Chemical Engineering, Physics, Math/Computer Science [combined program], and Statistics/Computer Science [combined program]...

What does "combined program" mean? Does it mean "math and computer science" and " statistics and computer?" Or it has nothing to do with "and?"

I know my question is quite confusing. :( Hopefully, you guys get it.

Thanks a million!
    :o

Post Thanks / Like

Re: help

Quote Originally Posted by bread
    Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, Integrative Biology, and Molecular/Cellular Biology...

What does the slash between molecular and cellular mean?
    Doesn't it mean "or?"
    However, I can't find "molecular or cellular biology" in my school's majors list , but I can only find "molecular and cellular biology."

Besides, please take a look at this:
    Chemical Engineering, Physics, Math/Computer Science [combined program], and Statistics/Computer Science [combined program]...

What does "combined program" mean? Does it mean "math and computer science" and " statistics and computer?" Or it has nothing to do with "and?"

I know my question is quite confusing. :( Hopefully, you guys get it.

Thanks a million!
    :o
    The technical term is for the punctuation mark / is solidus; In Britain it's known as an oblique , and in North America it's called a slash. Other terms it's known by are as follows: a diagonal, separatrix, shilling mark, stroke, virgule, or slant.

Note the word "separatrix" becuase it sheds some light on the function of/. It's used to mark a relationship between words, something like what a hyphen does, but it differs from a hyphen in that it also separates the words in their own right, like this,

Mr/Mrs Johnson will be coming over for dinner.
    ==> Mr and Mrs Johnson, both. That is, together they will be coming, yet their names are separate in their own right.

All the best, :D