Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: acronym, initials, and abbreviation

Thank you both, Susie Smith and Red5, it is so clear now. I can't believe it. Something that has been bothering me for such a long time is now all gone. It is probably not like winning a California Lotto (which I will find out tomorrow - $22 millions), but it is definitely a great feeling.

Tell me please, acronym is a kind of abbreviation, is initials also an abbreviation. Can I say L.A. (Los Angeles) is an abbreviation, an acronym, and an initials? JFK is not separated ny periods?

Have a great day.

bmo

Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bmo
    Thank you both, Susie Smith and Red5, it is so clear now. I can't believe it. Something that has been bothering me for such a long time is now all gone. It is probably not like winning a California Lotto (which I will find out tomorrow - $22 millions), but it is definitely a great feeling.

Tell me please, acronym is a kind of abbreviation, is initials also an abbreviation.

Have a great day.

bmo
    You are most welcome! :D

Say 22 million, eight billion, six thousand, etc. :wink:

To abbreviate is to reduce a word or phrase to a shorter form intended to represent the full form. So I don't see why initials can't be considered a form of abbreviation. :)

May I ask you a question? Why did you ask these questions about acronyms and abbreviations, etc? Curiosity? Or is it related to a lesson?

Post Thanks / Like

Preparing lecture notes. You see, these things are a good source to pick up a few vocabulary. If you tell students what laser and radar stand for, they can pick up a few words there.

Thanks again, you have explained it very well.

BMO

Susie Smith Guest

Preparing lecture notes. You see, these things are a good source to pick up a few vocabulary. If you tell students what laser and radar stand for, they can pick up a few words there.

Thanks again, you have explained it very well.

BMO
    I see. It is a good way to improve one's vocabulary. BTW, you can't say "a few vocabulary" because vocabulary is uncountable. You can say a few new words, though. :wink:

Once again, you're welcome. I was glad to help. :D

Post Thanks / Like

Acronym - WMD is one, representing weapons of mass destruction. VP for vice president. Correct?

Initials - JFK is John F. Kennedy. Name only?

Abbreviation - CA for california, Penn for pennsylvania. Correct?

1. Is USMC, United States Marine Corps, an acronym or abbreviation?
    2. vs. for versus; e.g. for for example and i.e. for that is. What are these? The last two are Latin, but are they abbreviation? These are almost like A.M. and P.M. for morning and afernoon.

Thanks.

BMO
    In addition to the wonderful explanations provided already, when in doubt, remember:initials represent a person's name; acronyms are built on the initial letter of words, but they differ from 'initials' because they don't represent a person's name; initials are not words; abbreviations are a short form of a word or words; initials are not abbreviations. Initials are just that, initials; don't forget to look at monograms. 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith
    BTW, you can't say "a few vocabulary" because vocabulary is uncountable. You can say a few new words, though. :wink:

Once again, you're welcome. I was glad to help. :D
    Thanks Susie for the explanations of the words million and vocabulary. The way I am doing is a good way to increase vocabulary, right?

BMO

Post Thanks / Like

...to build up your vocabulary.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    In addition to the wonderful explanations provided already, when in doubt, remember:initials represent a person's name; acronyms are built on the initial letter of words, but they differ from 'initials' because they don't represent a person's name; initials are not words; abbreviations are a short form of a word or words; initials are not abbreviations. Initials are just that, initials; don't forget to look at monograms. 8)
    Thanks Cas. OneLook says initial is the first letter of a word, especially a person's name. If so, is LA (Los Angeles) initials too? That would seem strange. I would be happy to settle on initials are only person's name.

UsingEnglish.com/glossary/acronym does say acronym is a kind of abbreviation.

Periods in acronym, abbreviation, and initials are also important. May I ask, are both U.S.A. and USA acceptable? How about UN, WTO, UNESCO? Need periods?

Acronyms are funny - and therefore, a good way to teach students. WTO represents World Trade Organization, but World Toilet Organization, which held its first meeting in Singapore this year, calls itself WTO too. UCI is the University of California in Irvine, but Chinese students joke it is the University of Chinese immigrants as there are so many Asians (60%) on campus.

Post Thanks / Like

OneLook says initial is the first letter of a word, especially a person's name. If so, is LA (Los Angeles) initials too? That would seem strange. I would be happy to settle on initials are only person's name.
    Given the three choices: acronym, abbreviation, and initials, let's do some deductive work:

Los Angeles
    Acronym: LA Is [la] a word? No.
    Abbreviation: ls angls Is that possible? No.
    Initials: LA Is that a person's name? No.

Conclusion: Either there must be a fourth choice out there we don't know about or LA is a kind of initial (i.e. a country's name), like USA. :D

:D

That's because acronyms are not a kind of abbreviation. :D

Periods in acronym, abbreviation, and initials are also important. May I ask, are both U.S.A. and USA acceptable? How about UN, WTO, UNESCO? Need periods?
    Periods are not important. :D It's the reduction of the word/phrase that's important. :D

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    :D

That's because acronyms are not a kind of abbreviation. :D

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast