Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Firm, Company, Enterprise:-(

    Dear teachers,

    What's the differences among firm, company, enterprise and corporation?

    Thanks a lot!! :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    Hello? I'm here again!

    What're you doing now, friends?

    Working? Sleeping? Reading? Painting? Shopping? Swimming? :D (it's hot here, are there any other words to describe the weather of 39℃?)...



    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 289
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    Hi, ion Joe,

    Try this link, you will find all definitons you may need :wink:

    http://www.wordreference.com/definition/.htm


    Good luck :D

    Ulli

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Size is important- corporations are very large. 'Enterprise' is not used in this way in English- it means 'initiative' not 'company'. 'Firm' and 'company' are pretty much the same to me, though company would be the formal term.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Thanks again, Ulli and Teacher Tdol!! :D


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 289
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Alright.... :wink: ion Joe.


    Ulli


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ion Joe
    Hello? I'm here again!

    What're you doing now, friends?

    Working? Sleeping? Reading? Painting? Shopping? Swimming? :D (it's hot here, are there any other words to describe the weather of 39℃?)...

    It's a sizzling hot day.
    It's a scorcher.
    Hot enough for you?

    FRC

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Quote Originally Posted by ion Joe
    Hello? I'm here again!

    What're you doing now, friends?

    Working? Sleeping? Reading? Painting? Shopping? Swimming? :D (it's hot here, are there any other words to describe the weather of 39℃?)...

    It's a sizzling hot day.
    It's a scorcher.
    Hot enough for you?

    FRC
    Hi!!Francois.
    Why the word scorcher can be used to describe an extremely hot weather? I don't quite understand the word, could you please explain it? Thank you!! :D

    P.S. What's the weather like in Paris today? :wink:
    Joe


    • Join Date: Jun 2004
    • Posts: 1,369
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Well, b/c it scorches :)
    Eg.
    -- Honey, I scorched that horrible T-shirt of yours while ironing it.
    -- Damn it! That was a gift from my ex-girlfriend.

    FRC

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 227
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Well, b/c it scorches :)
    Eg.
    -- Honey, I scorched that horrible T-shirt of yours while ironing it.
    -- Damn it! That was a gift from my ex-girlfriend.

    FRC
    Thank you for the vivid explanation, Francois!! :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Alicia's cover letter and resume
    By Alicia_Ma in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 25-Oct-2004, 23:25
  2. Tony's cover letter and resume
    By Tony6998 in forum CVs, Resumes and Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Oct-2004, 10:25
  3. Company
    By NewHope in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Aug-2004, 20:33
  4. Enterprise
    By Tdol in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2002, 13:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •