Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Where to go to Teach English

Hello Everyone:

I am new to this forum, but it looks like a great place to get to know other people, students and teachers alike!
    I am an educated professional in the Engineering community, Education and Mechanical Engineering. I am very interested in relocating overseas and getting back into teaching for some time.
    If there are others here who are knowledgable in the best countries to obtain visas for teaching English which are very profitable as well, I would be very appreciative in getting this information!
    I absolutely love teaching, as I find it very fulfilling to see a student go from learning their first English word to a point where they understand conversational english.
    I would be very grateful of any advice others have on which countries have the greatest demand for English at this time where Visas are somewhat easily obtained and the pay is liveable.

Kindest Regards,

David
    "English Professor"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where to go to Teach English

Hi Guys.. Im Also New In This Forums.. Wanna Make My Vocabulary More Bigger Coz It Can Really Help Me Lot

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about paying a living wage, but it's certainly true that China is crying out for native speaker teachers to work in private language schools. They just can't recruit fast enough. I spent a couple of years trying to recruit for one large chain, and I know that the situation in the last few years has got even more desperate. It's not a bad place to go for your first teaching job, however, so long as you pick your city and company wisely.

castsindy is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Where to go to Teach English

Hi I someone answers you give the information please thanks

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Europe seems oversupplied with teachers and salaries are falling in many countries. There is a growing demand in Asia, but you have to be careful in your choice as there are many dodgy employers. English teaching is rarely that profitable a job. The highest salaries are still probably those in the Middle East, though they are probably not as good as they used to be, though they are often tax free. If you could use your engineering background to do ESP in one of the these countries, however, could be financially rewarding.

arij98 is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Tunisia
      • Current Location:
      • Tunisia
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Where to go to Teach English

i think that the gulf countries such as EMARATE's Dubai and Aboudabi, Kuwait, .... still recruits foreign teachers and people there are rich and friendly.you can see about Dubai in the internet.it is named "Newyork" el Arab.

Su.mi is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Come to Panama. It's between Costa Rica and Colombia. The demand of English teachers is very high. But not only teachers. Many kinds of proffesionals who must have to speak in English, doesn't matter if you don't speak spanish, have a lot of opportunity to succeed.
    And also is very cheap to live here. Many americans, english, germans, are investing their business here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishProfessor View Post
    Hello Everyone:

I am new to this forum, but it looks like a great place to get to know other people, students and teachers alike!
    I am an educated professional in the Engineering community, Education and Mechanical Engineering. I am very interested in relocating overseas and getting back into teaching for some time.
    If there are others here who are knowledgable in the best countries to obtain visas for teaching English which are very profitable as well, I would be very appreciative in getting this information!
    I absolutely love teaching, as I find it very fulfilling to see a student go from learning their first English word to a point where they understand conversational english.
    I would be very grateful of any advice others have on which countries have the greatest demand for English at this time where Visas are somewhat easily obtained and the pay is liveable.

Kindest Regards,

David
    "English Professor"
    Hey David,

I am from China.I know have many foreigners come to China and have many foreign teachers in China.Everywhere is good place.China is good chance to choose.But,I am not sure which city or conutry you like and where you really want to go.

If you really want to been China you can ask me.And you can tell me which city you like.I try to best to explain to you.I am from Chengdu,China.

Now,I work at Metro International English---this is training english school.Sure have many foreigners,they teacher english and learn chinese.

I think you get visa it's easy for you if you go to Chengdu,China.

GUEST2008 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

Do you know what the avarage rates per hour are for the Celta certified teachers of English in private English schools in the UK?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

In response to Guest2008 - It depends on the area where you are teaching. In some towns in the UK, the language school seems to have got together to decide to cap the hourly rate of pay, but in other places where EFL teachers are harder to come by the rate goes up a bit. On average though, I think it's about 10 - 15 per hour for basic teachers nowadays, going up when you've got the DELTA or a few years experience behind you. Not a whole lot for professional work. And the breaks, meetings and preparation time are rarely if ever paid for. No holiday pay, in most schools, no sick leave and certainly no maternity pay.

Are you just starting out?
    Last edited by Clare James; 20-Feb-2008 at 12:47.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast