Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Paint a picture

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Francois
    Gentle is my second name. Do you remember the Neil Diamond? I am a believer.........

I think he was looking for words expressing that a saying/idiom can conjure up strong images to the listener. Vivid and pictorial may be among the words he was looking for.

FRC
    If he wants idioms we need more detail in reagrds to the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

He does not want idioms (if I got him right), he wants words to describe some traits of them.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

He does not want idioms (if I got him right), he wants words to describe some traits of them.

FRC
    Mea culpa! I am a bit slow today. Maybe slower then usual. Old age creeping up?

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to be laconic sometimes, which doesn't help.

FRC

me75 Guest

Default Clarification (I hope)

Gentle is my second name.

I think he was looking for words expressing that a saying/idiom can conjure up strong images to the listener. Vivid and pictorial may be among the words he was looking for.

FRC
    EXACTLY! Sorry about the confusion. I will try to clarify but I'm not sure it will make sense. I was going to make a verb out of this word. The specific sentence I ended up using (but I still think there is a better word): "She is the spit out of your mouth", her mother idiomized.

Before you say anything, I realize idiomize is not a word. I knew from the beginning that I would be inventing a verb from this noun.

I still think, though, that there is a better word to describe such a descriptive (if gross) phrase.

Thanks for all of your help and sorry again for the confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Clarification (I hope)

Quote Originally Posted by me75
    Gentle is my second name.

FRC
    EXACTLY! Sorry about the confusion. I will try to clarify but I'm not sure it will make sense. I was going to make a verb out of this word. The specific sentence I ended up using (but I still think there is a better word): "She is the spit out of your mouth", her mother idiomized.

Before you say anything, I realize idiomize is not a word. I knew from the beginning that I would be inventing a verb from this noun.

I still think, though, that there is a better word to describe such a descriptive (if gross) phrase.

Thanks for all of your help and sorry again for the confusion.
    I do not remember hearing that. Did you mean she is your spitting image?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the "spit out of your mouth" sounds weird out of context. Looks like "spitting image" indeed. Anyway, English being a wonderfully dynamic language, you can always coin new verbs, like idiomize, but you must know what you're doing, because the listener will think you made a mistake or may not understand you. Specifically, "idiomize" doesn't look terrific to me. I would suggest sticking to an existing verb and using an adverb instead.

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the "spit out of your mouth" sounds weird out of context. Looks like "spitting image" indeed. Anyway, English being a wonderfully dynamic language, you can always coin new verbs, like idiomize, but you must know what you're doing, because the listener will think you made a mistake or may not understand you. Specifically, "idiomize" doesn't look terrific to me. I would suggest sticking to an existing verb and using an adverb instead.

FRC
    Christmas and New Years on one day! Francois agrees with me on something.

Post Thanks / Like

This was purely fortuitous ;)

FRC

Post Thanks / Like

This was purely fortuitous ;)

FRC
    Somewhere along the line of blind chicken finding a corn? :wink:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast