• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

understand sentence

How should I understand "government" and "time's response" in the following sentence quoted from a book
    "Legislation is the government of the time's response to community demands for government action or management of particular issues, areas or activities"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: understand sentence

Quote Originally Posted by bgtesm View Post
    How should I understand "government" and "time's response" in the following sentence quoted from a book
    "Legislation is the government of the time's response to community demands for government action or management of particular issues, areas or activities"
    Legislation, is the government of the time - that is the government in power and able to pass the legislation - 's response (possessive - back to government) to .........
    Putting in the missing comma gives the sentence the meaning you are looking for. The sentence could be better worded: Any government has the power to pass legislation to meet community demands for government action.......
    OR
    The power of government to take action on particular issues is by legislation.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

• Post Thanks / Like

In my understanding, "government" here means the legislation has a role to govern, administer or manage the prompt response of relevant government agencies to the need or requirement of the community. So legislation will regulate that any response of government should take place and do within a reasonable timeframe.
    Do I understand right ?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bgtesm View Post
    In my understanding, "government" here means the legislation has a role to govern, administer or manage the prompt response of relevant government agencies to the need or requirement of the community. So legislation will regulate that any response of government should take place and do within a reasonable timeframe.
    Do I understand right ?
    Not so. It is government that frames and passes the legislation to meet the requirements of the community. Legislation has a role in every government but does not control government (except where any particular legislation has been passed specifically for government, as opposed to the community).
    'Time's response' refers to the government in power at any particular time, not to legislation. The time frame is dependent upon what is set out in the legislation.
    For example: a government needs to introduce new rules for, say, selling online. To do so without causing massive immediate disruption the legislation is set out in an Act of Parliament in which it is stated that the new legislation will come into effect in three months time ( a specific date will be given).
    Does this help?