Thread: Shakespeare

Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shakespeare

Hello, I hope there isn't harm in when I ask you to find mistakes in this essay. I've got just holidays (I'm only 16, and so I still go to school), so I don't need it so necessary, but I would love you to correct the mistakes. If you'll do that, then, really thank you very very much.

Lenka

Here is the essay:
    Romeo and Juliet
    William Shakespeare is the most famous writer of plays in the English language. He was born in Sratford-upon-Avon on 26 april 1564, in time of Queen Elizabeth I, and died on 23 April 1616. He wrote thrity-seven plays and many famous poems. His plays are about different subjects. Some of them are about famous people in history. Others are stories from the literature of time. He was not only a writer of plays – he also acted in them. His plays were very popular and succesful.
    In 1582 Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway, and they had three children – a boy and two girls.By 1597 he was rich enough to buy New Place, the largest house in Stratford.
    Shakespeare began writing Romeo and Juliet in 1594, when he was about thirty years old. The idea for the story was not Shakepeare’s. It came from a story in 1562 by Arthur Brooke about two young lovers who killed themselves. Shakespeare took Brooke’s story and wrote his play around it, but he added new characters too.
    In Shakespeare’s time, the actors were all men. So the part of Juliet was played by a boy.

The characters in the play:
    Prince Escalus – Prince of Verona
    Mercutio – relative of the Prince and a friend of Romeo
    Paris – a relative of the Prince, he want to marry Juliet
    Servant – Paris’s servant
    Lord Montague – head of the Montague family
    Lady Montague – Lord Montague’s wife
    Romeo – Lord Montague’s son
    Benvolio – Romeo’s cousin, Romeo and Mercutio’s friend
    Abram - a servant of the Montague family
    Balthasar – Romeo’s servant
    Lord Capulet – head of the capulet family
    Lady Capulet – Lord Capulet’s wife
    Juliet – Lord Capulet’s daughter
    Tybalt – Juliet’s cousin
    Nurse – Juliet’s nurse
    Cousin Capulet – Lord Capulet’s old cousin
    Peter – Lord Capulet’s servant
    Sampson and Gregory – servants of the Capulet family
    Friar Laurence – a religious friar
    Friar John – assistant to Friar Laurence
    Doctor – from the town of Mantua, he sells the poison for Romeo
    Six Guards – guarding Verona at night
    Townspeople of Verona
    Servants – the Prince of Verona’s servants
    Young men in masks – friends of Romeo and Mercutio
    Tybalt’s friends
    Guests at Lord Capulet’s party

Act 1: The Capulets and the Montagues
    Scene 1: The town square in Verona
    Montagues and Capulets still fight together. Romeo is sad because he loves Rosaline but she doesn’t love him. That is why Benvolio tries to persuade him to look at other beatiful girls, not just at her.
    Scene 2: A street near the Capulet’s house
    Paris wants to win Juliet’s heart and to marry her. Juliet isn’t yet fourteen (– she‘ll be in July).
    Lord capulet prepares (takes) a party. Romeo gets known that rosaline is invited to Capulet‘s party too, so he decides he has to go there too and see her.
    Scene 3: Juliet’s bedroom in the Capulet’s house
    Lady Capulet is talking to Juliet about marriadge with Paris. Juliet is ready to go to the party and to see him and agree or disagree with the marriadge.
    Scene 4: A street near the Capulet’s house
    Mercutio, Benvolio, and Romeo prepare for the party.
    Scene 5: A large room in the Capulets‘ house
    Lord Capulet welcomes guests to his party. Later he talks with his cousin Capulet. Romeo sees Juliet. They both fall in love. Juliet asks her nurse to ask Romeo his name. This is the moment when Juliet gets known that her love is her enemy.

Act 2: Marriage Plans
    Scene 1: The Capulet’s garden, with Juliet’s bedroom above
    Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio leave the party. Romeo jumpes over Capulet‘s garden wall and hides himself. Mercutio and Benvolio look for him but they aren’t succesful, so they decide to go home, to bed.
    Romeo meets Juliet at her house balcony. They arrange that in the morning at nine o’clock Juliet will send a message telling the place where to meet with Romeo.
    Scene 2: The garden of Friar Laurence’s house
    Romeo tells friar Laurence about his love to Juliet and asks him to marry them today. Laurence doesn’t like that Romeo started to love another girl (however he knew Rosaline didn’t like him and Romeo was just too sad because of her – so he didn‘t want him to suffer because of her so much) – he doesn’t like that Romeo changes girls often. But he decides to help him – perhaps the marriage will end the terrible hate between two families. Perhaps it will turn that hate into love.
    Scene 3: The town square in Verona
    Nurse gives the message of Juliet to Romeo. Romeo asks her to tell Juliet to come to friar Laurence’s house today afternoon to marry and to put a rope to her bedroom‘s window to he could climb in to Juliet.
    Scene 4: Juliet’s bedroom
    Nurse delivers Romeo’s message to Juliet.
    Scene 5: A room in Friar Laurence’s house
    Romeo and Juliet marry t friar Laurence’s house.

Act 3: Murder and Banishment
    Mercutio dies in a fight with Tybalt. Just Tybalt was he, who started this fight. So, some (just a little) time later Romeo wants to avenge on Tybalt Mercutio’s death. Romeo kills Tybalt. Prince of Verona banishes Romeo from Verona. He has to leave Verona or he will be killed.
    Scene 2: Juliet’s bedroom
    Nurse tells Juliet news about tybalt who is dead. Juliet gives her nurse a ring to give it to romeo who is hidden in friar Laurence‘s house.
    Scene 3: A room in Friar Laurence’s house
    Nurse comes to Romeo to friar Laurence’s house and tells him that the rope he wanted to use for climbing to Juliet’s chamber is prepared and gives him Juliet‘s ring. Friar gives him an advice to leave Verona for Mantua (a town about 40km from Verona).
    Scene 4: A room in the Capulets‘ house
    Lord Capulet wants to marry Juliet to paris on Thursday (it‘s Monday today)
    Scene 5: Juliet’s bedroom
    Romeo tells goodbye to Juliet – it’s morning now (they spent night together). Lord Capulet tells Juliet: „if you want to continue as my daughter, I’ll give you to Paris. If not, then die in the streets.“

Act 4: The Sweetest Flower
    Scene 1: A room in Friar Laurence‘s house
    Juliet comes to friar and asks him for help. He gives her a bottle with „medicine“. The effect is a sleepy feeling after drinking it. Her face will turn white, her eyes will close and her body will become cold. She’ll be like that 42 hours and then she’ll wake up. When Paris comes for her on Thursday morning, he’ll find her dead in bed.
    Friar sends a friar to Mantua with a letter for Romeo.
    Scene 2: A room in the Capulets‘ house
    Juliet’s father decides to marry Julietalready tomorrow on Wednesday.
    Scene 3: Juliet’s bedroom
    Juliet drinks the medicine and falls on her bed. However she is afrid, she is willing to do everything to meet his love, Romeo.
    Juliet’s parents prepare everything (food, music etc…) for the marriadge.
    Nurse goes to wake Juliet up, but she findes out Juliet is dead. So, instead of happy marriadge the family prepares for sad funeral.

Act 5: Death in the Vault
    Scene 1: A street in Mantua
    Balthasar tells Romeo sad news – Juliet is dead. Romeo decides to go to her vault and to kill himself and to lie there fallen in death with her.
    He goes to a doctor and asks him to sell him a poison to kill himself. However he doesn’t want to sell it, at last Romeo persuades him.
    Scene 2: Friar Laurence’s house
    Friar John comes to tell friar Laurence that he (John) couldn’t give the letter to romeo in Mantua (because he wanted another friar to travel with him, but he was visiting some rich people. Then the health officers of Verona came and closed the house. So he couldn‘t leave.)
    Scene 3: The church garden with the Capulets‘ vault
    Paris goes with his servant (whom he ordered to stay in the church garden) to the vault to see juliet again.
    When Romeo arrives with his servant Balthasar and Paris sees him, Paris wants to kill him. When Paris’s servant sees this, he goes to call the guards. Paris dies. Romeo wants to die, so at last, he kisses Juliet’s hand and drinks strong poison to die. Friar Laurence comes to the vault (for Juliet) and sees Romeo’s body and then even also Paris‘s body.
    Juliet wakes up. They can hear the guards coming, so friar Laurence press Juliet to run away of the vault, but Juliet wants to stay. Juliet sees Romeo’s dead body. She wants to die too, but Romeo drank all the poison. So she kisses his mouth (perhaps there is still some poison on it) and wants to join him in death. Juliet sees Romeo’s knife, picks it up and pushes the knife into her body with words: „My body will be your final resting-place“.
    Paris’s serant comes in with 6 guards. They call Prince and Lord and Lady Capulet and Lord Montague. Lady Montague (Lord Montague’s wife) died last night from sadness about Romeo’s banishment, so, now, Lord Montague has to suffer even his son‘s, Romeo’s death. Prince asks friar to explain the deaths. So friar explains everything what happend.
    Frair Balthasar and Servant explain what they were doing there.
    Prince reads Romeo’s letter that Romeo wrote to his father, Lord Montague. Prince got the letter of Romeo’s servant Balthasar, who should have given it to Lord Montague.
    Lord Capulet makes peace between himself and Lord Montague. They both decide to pain a picture of Juliet and romeo and to hang both these painting (Romeo’s next to Juliet’s) in a building on the town square.

My own opinion: I think this play is very nice, but quite unrealized. I don’t believe in love at first sight, so that is perhaps the reason I don‘t like the subject of the book, that both these lovers are willing to die only because of they don’t want to live more, without their love, who they knew only some days. I think this is stupid. But I liked the book, it is full of surprises and nobody can be bored of reading it, perhaps because it is a play, not a novel.

Post Thanks / Like

Please...

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka
    Hello, I hope there isn't harm in when I ask you to find mistakes in this essay. I've got just holidays (I'm only 16, and so I still go to school), so I don't need it so necessary, but I would love you to correct the mistakes. If you'll do that, then, really thank you very very much.

Lenka

Here is the essay:
    Romeo and Juliet
    William Shakespeare is the most famous writer of plays in the English language. He was born in Stratford-upon-Avon on 26 April 1564, in time of Queen Elizabeth I, and died on 23 April 1616. He wrote thirty-seven plays and many famous poems. His plays are about different subjects. Some of them are about famous people in history. Others are stories from the literature of time. He was not only a writer of plays – he also acted in them. His plays were very popular and successful.
    In 1582 Shakespeare married Anne Hathaway, and they had three children – a boy and two girls.By 1597 he was rich enough to buy New Place, the largest house in Stratford.
    Shakespeare began writing Romeo and Juliet in 1594, when he was about thirty years old. The idea for the story was not Shakepeare’s. It came from a story in 1562 by Arthur Brooke about two young lovers who killed themselves. Shakespeare took Brooke’s story and wrote his play around it, but he added new characters too.
    In Shakespeare’s time, the actors were all men. So the part of Juliet was played by a boy.

The characters in the play:
    Prince Escalus – Prince of Verona
    Mercutio – relative of the Prince and a friend of Romeo
    Paris – a relative of the Prince, he want to marry Juliet
    Servant – Paris’s servant
    Lord Montague – head of the Montague family
    Lady Montague – Lord Montague’s wife
    Romeo – Lord Montague’s son
    Benvolio – Romeo’s cousin, Romeo and Mercutio’s friend
    Abram - a servant of the Montague family
    Balthasar – Romeo’s servant
    Lord Capulet – head of the capulet family
    Lady Capulet – Lord Capulet’s wife
    Juliet – Lord Capulet’s daughter
    Tybalt – Juliet’s cousin
    Nurse – Juliet’s nurse
    Cousin Capulet – Lord Capulet’s old cousin
    Peter – Lord Capulet’s servant
    Sampson and Gregory – servants of the Capulet family
    Friar Laurence – a religious friar
    Friar John – assistant to Friar Laurence
    Doctor – from the town of Mantua, he sells the poison for Romeo
    Six Guards – guarding Verona at night
    Townspeople of Verona
    Servants – the Prince of Verona’s servants
    Young men in masks – friends of Romeo and Mercutio
    Tybalt’s friends
    Guests at Lord Capulet’s party

Act 1: The Capulets and the Montagues
    Montagues and Capulets still fight (I'd say 'are fueding') together. Romeo is sad because he loves Rosaline but she doesn’t love him. That is why Benvolio tries to persuade him to look at other beatiful girls, not just at her.
    Scene 2: A street near the Capulet’s house
    Paris wants to win Juliet’s heart and to marry her. Juliet isn’t yet fourteen (– she will be in July).
    Lord capulet prepares (takes) a party. Romeo gets known that rosaline is invited to Capulet‘s party too, so he decides he has to go there too and see her.
    Scene 3: Juliet’s bedroom in the Capulet’s house
    Lady Capulet is talking to Juliet about marriadge with Paris. Juliet is ready to go to the party and to see him and agree or disagree with the marriadge.
    Scene 4: A street near the Capulet’s house
    Mercutio, Benvolio, and Romeo prepare for the party.
    Scene 5: A large room in the Capulets‘ house
    Lord Capulet welcomes guests to his party. Later he talks with his cousin Capulet. Romeo sees Juliet. They both fall in love. Juliet asks her nurse to ask Romeo his name. This is the moment when Juliet finds out that her love is her enemy.

Act 2: Marriage Plans
    Scene 1: The Capulet’s garden, with Juliet’s bedroom above
    Romeo, Mercutio and Benvolio leave the party. Romeo jumps over Capulet‘s garden wall and hides himself. Mercutio and Benvolio look for him but they aren’t succesful, so they decide to go home, to bed.
    Romeo meets Juliet at her house balcony. They arrange that in the morning at nine o’clock Juliet will send a message telling the place where to meet with Romeo.
    Scene 2: The garden of Friar Laurence’s house
    Romeo tells Friar Laurence about his love for Juliet and asks him to marry them today. Laurence doesn’t like that Romeo started to love another girl (however he knew Rosaline didn’t like him and Romeo was just too sad because of her – so he didn‘t want him to suffer because of her so much) – he doesn’t like that Romeo changes girls often. But he decides to help him – perhaps the marriage will end the terrible hate between two families. Perhaps it will turn that hate into love.
    Scene 3: The town square in Verona
    Nurse gives the message of Juliet to Romeo. Romeo asks her to tell Juliet to come to friar Laurence’s house today afternoon to marry and to put a rope to her bedroom‘s window to he could climb in to Juliet.
    Scene 4: Juliet’s bedroom
    Nurse delivers Romeo’s message to Juliet.
    Scene 5: A room in Friar Laurence’s house
    Romeo and Juliet marry at Friar Laurence’s house.

Act 3: Murder and Banishment
    Mercutio dies in a fight with Tybalt, who started it. So, some (just a little) time later Romeo wants to avenge on Tybalt Mercutio’s death. Romeo kills Tybalt. Prince of Verona banishes Romeo from Verona. He has to leave Verona or he will be killed.
    Scene 2: Juliet’s bedroom
    Nurse tells Juliet news about Tybalt's death. Juliet gives her nurse a ring to give it to romeo who is hidden in friar Laurence‘s house.
    Scene 3: A room in Friar Laurence’s house
    Nurse comes to Romeo to friar Laurence’s house and tells him that the rope he wanted to use for climbing to Juliet’s chamber is prepared and gives him Juliet‘s ring. Friar gives him an advice to leave Verona for Mantua (a town about 40km from Verona).
    Lord Capulet wants to marry Juliet to Paris on Thursday (it‘s Monday today)
    Romeo says goodbye to Juliet – it’s morning now (they spent night together). Lord Capulet tells Juliet: „if you want to continue as my daughter, I’ll give you to Paris. If not, then die in the streets.“

Act 4: The Sweetest Flower
    Scene 1: A room in Friar Laurence‘s house
    Juliet comes to the friar and asks him for help. He gives her a bottle with „medicine“. The effect is a sleepy feeling after drinking it. Her face will turn white, her eyes will close and her body will become cold. She’ll be like that 42 hours and then she’ll wake up. When Paris comes for her on Thursday morning, he’ll find her dead in bed.
    Friar sends a friar to Mantua with a letter for Romeo.
    Scene 2: A room in the Capulets‘ house
    Juliet’s father decides to marry Julietalready tomorrow on Wednesday.
    Scene 3: Juliet’s bedroom
    Juliet drinks the medicine and falls on her bed. However she is afrid, she is willing to do everything to meet his love, Romeo.
    Juliet’s parents prepare everything (food, music etc…) for the marriage.
    Nurse goes to wake Juliet up, but she finds Juliet dead. So, instead of a happy marriage the family prepares for a sad funeral.

Act 5: Death in the Vault
    Scene 1: A street in Mantua
    Balthasar tells Romeo the sad news – Juliet is dead. Romeo decides to go to her vault and to kill himself and to lie there fallen in death with her.
    He goes to a doctor and asks him to sell him a poison to kill himself. However he doesn’t want to sell it, at last Romeo persuades him.
    Scene 2: Friar Laurence’s house
    Friar John comes to tell friar Laurence that he (John) couldn’t give the letter to Romeo in Mantua (because he wanted another friar to travel with him, but he was visiting some rich people. Then the health officers of Verona came and closed the house. So he couldn‘t leave.)
    Scene 3: The church garden with the Capulets‘ vault
    Paris goes with his servant (whom he ordered to stay in the church garden) to the vault to see juliet again.
    When Romeo arrives with his servant Balthasar and Paris sees him, Paris wants to kill him. When Paris’s servant sees this, he goes to call the guards. Paris dies. Romeo wants to die, so at last, he kisses Juliet’s hand and drinks strong poison to die. Friar Laurence comes to the vault (for Juliet) and sees Romeo’s body and then even also Paris‘s body.
    Juliet wakes up. They can hear the guards coming, so friar Laurence press Juliet to run away of the vault, but Juliet wants to stay. Juliet sees Romeo’s dead body. She wants to die too, but Romeo drank all the poison. So she kisses his mouth (perhaps there is still some poison on it) and wants to join him in death. Juliet sees Romeo’s knife, picks it up and pushes the knife into her body with words: „My body will be your final resting-place“.
    Paris’s serant comes in with 6 guards. They call Prince and Lord and Lady Capulet and Lord Montague. Lady Montague (Lord Montague’s wife) died last night from sadness about Romeo’s banishment, so, now, Lord Montague has to suffer even his son‘s, Romeo’s death. Prince asks friar to explain the deaths. So friar explains everything that happend.
    Frair Balthasar and Servant explain what they were doing there.
    Prince reads Romeo’s letter that Romeo wrote to his father, Lord Montague. Prince got the letter of Romeo’s servant Balthasar, who should have given it to Lord Montague.
    Lord Capulet makes peace between himself and Lord Montague. They both decide to paint a picture of Juliet and Romeo and to hang both these paintings (Romeo’s next to Juliet’s) in a building on the town square.

My own opinion: I think this play is very nice, but quite unrealized. I don’t believe in love at first sight, so that is perhaps the reason I don‘t like the subject of the book, that both these lovers are willing to die only because of they don’t want to live any more without their love, who they knew only some days. I think this is stupid. But I liked the book, it is full of surprises and nobody can be bored of reading it, perhaps because it is a play, not a novel.
    Lenka, I've had a quick look through and made a few changes. I'll have a second look later when I have some frre time.

Post Thanks / Like

tdol, I really thank you very much! You‘re ussually the only one person from this server that helps me with my essays. Did you look through all the essay? It seems to me incredible that I did write only these mistakes! I expected much more of them…
    I have some questions according to the mistakes of my essay. Here they are:

1)…isn’t yet fourteen (– she will be in July). – why can’t I say “she’ll be in July“? it isn’t so formal or why?
    2) when Juliet finds out that her love is her enemy. – why I can’t use words gets known instead of finds out? Is there a very big difference or it just sounds better with „finds out“?
    3) his love for Juliet – do I have to remember that we have to use this preposition in this connection?
    4) Tybalt, who started it. – How can I recognize what looks better (why not „who started this fight“?)

Thank you… These questions that I have just asked you are mostly totally stupid, I know, you can’t answer it very good. I know, I have to learn and learn and study and study to become more sensitive to English to know what does and doesn’t sound or look better. But, try to answer those questions, please, anyway.

Lenka

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I avoid contractions in any formalwriting- if writing about literature, then don't use informalforms.

2 Facts become known, people find things out

3 his love for someone\of something, not 'to'

4- 'it'avoids repeating the word 'fight'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I avoid contractions in any formalwriting- if writing about literature, then don't use informalforms.

2 Facts become known, people find things out

3 his love for someone\of something, not 'to'

4- 'it'avoids repeating the word 'fight'

Thank you. I have got one last question.
    Capulet’s or Capulets‘ house? I suppose Capulets‘, but I’m not sure.
    Paris’s or Paris‘ love? Here I really don’t know…

Lenka

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

The Capulets' house (there are many of them)

With names ending in 's', some people write 's and others just put an apostrophe. With names that are not English, generally you'll see people just use an apostrophe.

vsmith-cox1 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Tdol,my name is Victoria i have a question i am doing roemo and juliets play right now and im wondering wat was the strong hate between lord montague and lord capulet
    please reply
    sincerly Victoria

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lenka View Post
    Thank you. I have got one last question.
    Capulet’s or Capulets‘ house? I suppose Capulets‘, but I’m not sure.
    Paris’s or Paris‘ love? Here I really don’t know…

Lenka
    The Capulets` house
    Paris`s love.

One more thing : I`d use the word "playwright" instead of "writer of plays".

Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vsmith-cox1 View Post
    Tdol,my name is Victoria i have a question i am doing roemo and juliets play right now and im wondering wat was the strong hate between lord montague and lord capulet
    please reply
    sincerly Victoria

The source of the feud is not known.The blood feud between the Montagues and Capulets has been going on for a long time.These two families are involved in a family feud that goes back years before any of the members were born.Yet the feud still continues due to the fact that neither family is ready to forgive and forget the past.