Post Thanks / Like

"j vs G" and "e vs eh"

-I have always thought that G is pronounced as dj while the j is j. I came across few words that left me a little bit confused such as jostling and jury . Is the j in these two words pronounced as dj?
    -what about the word jolt is it a dj or j?
    a second question about e with words like report , development, defense . is it pronounced as an e in ear or as an eh as in demonstration?
    best regards

Buddhaheart is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: "j vs G" and "e vs eh"

-I have always thought that G is pronounced as dj while the j is j. G has the hard sound /g/ as in <girl> and the soft sound // as in <jam>. <J> is usually just /// as in <jostling>, <jury> & <jolt>. I came across few words that left me a little bit confused such as jostling and jury. Is the j in these two words pronounced as dj? See above.

-what about the word jolt is it a dj or j? See above.

Therere certain phonic rules or more precisely generalizations that you could use to predict whether the <g> should be pronounced as its hard sound or soft sound.

a second question about e with words like report , development, defense . is it pronounced as an e in ear or as an eh as in demonstration? The e as in < report> & the first e in <defense> & in <development> has the short i sound /w/. We (AE) utter the e in <ear> as a long e /i+/. Thee in < demonstration> has the short e sound /e/.