yuri_hemino is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The problems that are faced by non-native speakers of English

As most of us acknowledge, non-native speakers of English (NNS) often have problem with pronunciation. As their tutor, I feel so sorry for them and REALLY want to help them. Can you tell me, what are the problems areas that faced by them? Is it intonation? or word stress? or sounds? or rhythm? Your help will be highly appreciated and this will help me a lot for the sake of my NNS students future. Thanks.

oregeezer is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The problems that are faced by non-native speakers of English

The problem is they need to learn a WHOLE new system of speaking. Don't spend too much time feeling sorry - concentrate on having the students speak HOWEVER THEY SOUND. The big question is can you and other accomplished speakers UNDERSTAND them. If you can then give them a big high five and move to the next lesson.
    As a native speaker of English I hear lots of "bad" English but I can ofen figure out what the speaker wants to say. That is all that is required for communication.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The problems that are faced by non-native speakers of English

I'm not a teacher at this forum, but I read your request and want to put in a comment. Problems regarding pronounciation mostly depends on what language the learner's mother tongue is. All of the elements you mentioned may cause problems, but if you want to help them, you need to know about the specific differences between the mother tongue language and English. What causes problems to a Japanese and an Italian respectively is probably not the same.

My mother tongue is Norwegian, and I know that some specific English sounds cause problems because they lack counterparts in Norwegian. Students need to practise the sounds to get them right. We also have a different intonation system, so it has to be learned.

I don't know if this was to much help, but I know that if your students have the same mother tongue, your job will be easier than if they have different languages as a starting point!

Good luck!