Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Bachelor's shirt

    Hi all,
    What kind of shirt was a «Bachelor's shirt» in the English 19th?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    So far as I am aware, a shirt that is worn by a bachelor.

    Do you have more context?

  3. #3
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    So far as I am aware, a shirt that is worn by a bachelor.

    Do you have more context?
    Hi Anglika,

    No, I am afraid I don't. it is just a mention in a list of objects shown at the Great Exhibition of London (1851), as follows:
    «...a "bachelor's shirt of peculiar construction without buttons",...»
    Medieval and post-medieval shirts already had no buttons, just a string to adjust them in the neck, so i cannot guess what is the peculiar thing with a buttonless shirt.
    Unless it was an ancestor of the modern t-shirt...

    Thanks
    Last edited by jiho; 05-Feb-2008 at 15:50.

  4. #4
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    I think your supposition that it is a forerunner of a T-shirt is not at all bad.

    Since this reference is to an exhibit in the Great Exhibition, it is very likely to be an ingeniously designed [and probably patented] shirt that does not need studs or buttons to fasten it, and can be put on without the assistance of a man-servant. I suppose the only way to be sure of what it was like is to find a copy of the full catalogue to the Exhibition or search the Patent Office archive.

  5. #5
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    Well, that was the only thing I could think of.

    Thank you so much, teacher!

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I think your supposition that it is a forerunner of a T-shirt is not at all bad.

    Since this reference is to an exhibit in the Great Exhibition, it is very likely to be an ingeniously designed [and probably patented] shirt that does not need studs or buttons to fasten it, and can be put on without the assistance of a man-servant. I suppose the only way to be sure of what it was like is to find a copy of the full catalogue to the Exhibition or search the Patent Office archive.
    Or maybe it was made of a material resistant to creasing (the assumption being that bachelors don't have irons, or if they do, they use them as door-stops). In my youth (a few years after the Great Exhibition, I'll have you know ) there was a big fuss about 'Drip-Dry' shirts.

    b

  7. #7
    jiho is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bachelor's shirt

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    Or maybe it was made of a material resistant to creasing (the assumption being that bachelors don't have irons, or if they do, they use them as door-stops). In my youth (a few years after the Great Exhibition, I'll have you know ) there was a big fuss about 'Drip-Dry' shirts.

    b
    «Iron? Do you mean Iron Maiden?» said the bachelor...

    Not a bad point, I say, although not too obvious. I think it seems a rather complex interpretation of the text, but not necessarily bad.

    Thanks Bobk

Similar Threads

  1. exchange a present
    By jctgf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2007, 15:04
  2. shirt
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Oct-2007, 12:56
  3. shirt and top
    By Nathaniel in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2007, 12:09
  4. Volition and shirts
    By M56 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2005, 22:48
  5. need explaining
    By M56 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2005, 21:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •