Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: sociocultural

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default sociocultural

    I don't really know, but this seems to be the right place to put forward a suggestion about the contents in this site -great one, by the way, congratulations!!!-. The thing is that most students, like me, manage to make meaningful and complicated sentences involving difficult structures, idiomatic expressions, phrasal verbs and the like but, at least in my case -and I guess I'm not the only one- sometimes find it difficult to talk about very simple topics such as education, healthcare, leisure, jobs, eating habits, working conditions, etc... because concepts, customs, relationships and habits are very different in different countries. It took me a while to realise that 'lunch', which is very often translated into Spanish as 'comida', doesn't really fit the Spanish concept (it shoud rather be 'dinner'); or, for example, I'm hesitant when talking about a sixteen-year-old because I really don't know whether he goes to school or high school or college or comprehensive school or grammar school...(though I know the doesn't go to THE school, high school..., can you see what I mean?, At what age do English teenagers finish school? Is education there still compulsory when you are eighteen? Do they still take A and B levels? How many? How often? What if they fail?...). That's is why I would like to suggest including a sub-forum about socio-cultural contents so that people could post in short articles, notes and reports about real life and living conditions in their countries; where people studying a foreign language could exchange first hand information (and really useful vocab) as far as sociocultural content is concerned.
    I don't claim to be an expert or a geek, but I've visited several sites and they all lack that kind of content. Since this is the best one I've found, this is the one I'd like to help improve. Hope you will consider it. Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    apex2000's Avatar
    apex2000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    General language discussions, general members discussions and the support areas are all areas that you will find useful.
    Naturally there is no better way to meet your desires than to come over here and take a temporary job, even a longer term one if that suits you. We may tell you a lot of information but miss out on the ones that could be of more use to you. Now is a good time to come.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    Thanks a lot. I'm still getting used to using the site and thought those were more teacher-oriented places. I'll take your tip. As for moving over there, I'm afraid I'm a bit too old to change my lifestyle (actually, I'm as old as the hills, if that is still in fashion over there). I'll post those places and do my best to try to keep up with current affairs. Hope they don't mind my asking this kind of questions!
    Regards.

  4. #4
    apex2000's Avatar
    apex2000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    No, I don't mind but check: me asking those kind of questions, or, me asking that/this type of question; be careful not to mix singular and plural.
    'old as the hills' is perfectly OK to say although, personally, I would never refer to myself that way. Positive thinking is something I believe in; consequently 'I am only 71' is how I reply is asked my age!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: sociocultural

    Thanks apex, I really appreciate your correction. It is one of those things I always seem to get wrong (and I know the rule but...can't help it!).
    My grandfather used to say you are young until you start making noises as you sit down or stand up (uuugh, oooow, aaaah...) and I've grown old enough to know just how right he was but, here you are right again so, let me state 'I'M YOUNG AT HEART'; age should also be said to be 'skin deep'. Positive thinking, taken!

  6. #6
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    I have waited for a few responses before coming in, but I would say that it is a good idea, but it is not that likely IMO that people would do it in a systematic way. I would be happy if they did, though. I think most of questions along these lines would just get asked in the normal course of posting, which does mean that later they can only be accessed through searching.

  7. #7
    apex2000's Avatar
    apex2000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuisi View Post
    Thanks apex, I really appreciate your correction. It is one of those things I always seem to get wrong (and I know the rule but...can't help it!).
    My grandfather used to say you are young until you start making noises as you sit down or stand up (uuugh, oooow, aaaah...) and I've grown old enough to know just how right he was but, here you are right again so, let me state 'I'M YOUNG AT HEART'; age should also be said to be 'skin deep'. Positive thinking, taken!
    Good for you. No matter where we live and whatever our nationality, as individuals we have very similar thoughts and ideas. In my case I am also liable to make silly mistakes because I am trying to do more than time will allow. See my last post: is how I reply if asked my age! Oh dear!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    Hi apex, mistakes are not that terrible, as long as one admits to making them or having made them: 'To err is human...', and provided they don't break communication. Sometimes they are likely to lead you to some misunderstanding but, that's life (that happens to everyone from time to time, no matter what language you are speaking -you should ask my wife ... 'I thought you were going to...'). I don't think you should worry about them and, in my case, they are quite an useful tool for improving. Thanks again

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I have waited for a few responses before coming in, but I would say that it is a good idea, but it is not that likely IMO that people would do it in a systematic way. I would be happy if they did, though. I think most of questions along these lines would just get asked in the normal course of posting, which does mean that later they can only be accessed through searching.
    Hi Tdol,
    You are right, it probably wouldn't work. I think I will post about it in the other places suggested by apex2000 -great guy- and if I'm lucky enough to get some answers, I'll try to keep a record of them so that I can send them back for everybody to refer to. It'll take time but I do think it will be worthwhile. Thanks and congratulations on this website.

  10. #10
    apex2000's Avatar
    apex2000 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    785
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: sociocultural

    Quote Originally Posted by Wuisi View Post
    Hi apex, mistakes are not that terrible, as long as one admits to making them or having made them: 'To err is human...', and provided they don't break communication. Sometimes they are likely to lead you to some misunderstanding but, that's life (that happens to everyone from time to time, no matter what language you are speaking -you should ask my wife ... 'I thought you were going to...'). I don't think you should worry about them and, in my case, they are quite an useful tool for improving. Thanks again
    I had to laugh, reading your response. My wife totally agrees! We call them 'senior moments' over here, and they cover a lot of little 'sins'. Best wishes with all your good intentions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •