Thread: listening

Penny* is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default listening

hi everybody!!I'm not sure about is the correct area for this topics but I need help to improve my english for the listening of the exam that I'm having on May..Someone can tell me a way to improve my english listening?? thank you..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: listening

One possible way you can improve is to watch DVDs in English, instead of in Italian. (It's a shame that Italian TV dubs programmes, instead of using subtitles.)

If you have good internet connection you can also listen to radio programmes from the BBC and listen online. There's a lot of different types of programme you can listen to -stories, news, programmes about films and music - I'm sure you'll be able to find something interesting there. BBC - Radio - The home of BBC Radio on the internet

Also there might be some English-speaking people living near you in Calabria. English teachers are often happy to make friends and chat with people in English in their free time - just don't ask them too many grammar questions when they are relaxing!

Penny* is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you very much..I'm doing speaking and listening with my english teachers but I think that watching BBC programmes on tv whith the subtitles in Italian can be a good idea.What do you think about??

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent idea. Though watching the programmes with English subtitles will be even more helpful, because your brain won't keep thinking in Italian all the time. I learnt a lot of my Italian watching TV with subtitles. What's your level?

Penny* is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

In May I'm doing the PET exam or level B1..

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: listening

Quote Originally Posted by Penny* View Post
    I think that watching BBC programmes on tv whith the subtitles in Italian can be a good idea.What do you think about??
    Hi Penny! This is a great idea! For me, it helps me a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Clare James View Post
    Excellent idea. Though watching the programmes with English subtitles will be even more helpful, because your brain won't keep thinking in Italian all the time.
    I also think as you, but in my case, if I put English sound and English subtitles, I cannot pay attention in sound, you know, because I finish reading the whole movie/programme. So when I use Portuguese subtitles, I can understand the grammar better and also learn a lot of new expressions. Anyway, both ways are good. You always can improve something.

And Clare James, thanks for the BBC International Radio hint!