Post Thanks / Like

Question Cock-a-doodle-doo

Hi everybody,
    Can an English rooster speak Spanish? Of course, he will say 'kikiriki'. That's what this is about, I'm quite interested in knowing sounds animals make in English, or in other languages, and, not only animals, also objects and situations (a car crash, a slap on someone's face...) I don't refer to verbs; I know cats mew and purr, and dogs bark and sheep bleat...-though if you fancy telling me, I would also be glad, but I can always look these up in a dictionary -, I mean the letters and expressions (onomatopoeic sounds) you use to represent those sounds. Here is my contribution:
    In Spanish
    Dogs go GUAU, GUAU, cats MIAU MIAU, cows MUU MUU, birds (small ones, like canaries) PIO, PIO, donkeys IIIOOO,IIIOOO, frogs CROA, CROA, lions GRRRRRR (also in comics when someone is furious) or GRUAO or 'roar' in some comics (roaring sound), ducks CUA, CUA, ..... (if there is one you are particularly interested in, tell me and I'll try to answer)
    (in comic-strips and stories)
    -A stone in the water CHOP, a car accident BOOM or CRASH, something heavy falling on the floor or someone bumping into a door PLAF or CATACLAS or CATAPUM...
    I think that's enough to show you the kind of 'words' I'm looking for (however, don't hesitate to ask me if you want to know about a particular one). As a start I don't know many, so anything will do and if I get to compile quite a few I'll post for more specific animals or situations. Thanks in advance. Bye.
    Last edited by Wuisi; 07-Feb-2008 at 00:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cock-a-doodle-doo

Quote Originally Posted by Wuisi View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Can an English rooster speak Spanish? Of course, he will say 'kikiriki'. That's what this is about, I'm quite interested in knowing sounds animals make in English, or in other languages, and, not only animals, also objects and situations (a car crash, a slap on someone's face...) I don't refer to verbs; I know cats mew and purr, and dogs bark and sheep bleat...-though if you fancy telling me, I would also be glad, but I can always look these up in a dictionary -, I mean the letters and expressions (onomatopoeic sounds) you use to represent those sounds. Here is my contribution:
    In Spanish
    Dogs go GUAU, GUAU, cats MIAU MIAU, cows MUU MUU, birds (small ones, like canaries) PIO, PIO, donkeys IIIOOO,IIIOOO, frogs CROA, CROA, lions GRRRRRR (also in comics when someone is furious) or GRUAO or 'roar' in some comics (roaring sound), ducks CUA, CUA, ..... (if there is one you are particularly interested in, tell me and I'll try to answer)
    (in comic-strips and stories)
    -A stone in the water CHOP, a car accident BOOM or CRASH, something heavy falling on the floor or someone bumping into a door PLAF or CATACLAS or CATAPUM...
    I think that's enough to show you the kind of 'words' I'm looking for (however, don't hesitate to ask me if you want to know about a particular one). As a start I don't know many, so anything will do and if I get to compile quite a few I'll post for more specific animals or situations. Thanks in advance. Bye.
    Dogs go woof, woof (or growl, growl with their mouths closed.)
    Cats go meow, meow. A kitten goes mew, mew.
    Cows go moo, moo.
    Birds go tweet, tweet.
    Donkeys? I don't know.
    Frogs go croak, croak.
    Lions go grrr, or roar.
    Ducks go quack, quack.
    A stone in water goes splash.
    A car in an accident goes smash.
    Something falling goes boom, or plop if it's something soft.
    A gun or a firecracker goes bang.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi cclaff,
    I do really appreciate your contribution. I had almost lost hope of getting an answer at all.
    I started this thread because I think these expressions can be a good way to illustrate -and help me understand- the correspondence between sounds and spelling and now, looking at your answer I have come to realise that most of them can also be used as verbs in English, that is, you can say 'The firecracker banged with a loud noise' or something like that... In Spanish this is not so. As a result now I'm even more interested in getting more information about these onomatopoeic sounds. So, if anyone happens to read this and has five minutes to spare, please add as many as you can.
    Regards.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Do some searches. This question has been asked before - and answered with a very useful link to a site that lists such sounds. That may be why nobody answered earlier. If your post is racking up lots of Views but not being answered, it can often be a sign that you need to do some basic research.

b

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to do a Google search on "onomatopoeia," which refers to written words that describe sounds.

If you click on this link, you can then click on the various animal shapes shown around the border of the page and hear their different sounds in different countries. (Hard to describe, it's easier if you just go there and check it out. You may have to click twice on each image in order to make the sound.)