sing, sang, sung

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 281,066
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

My son is having difficulty with using sang and sung in the appropriate tense. To be completely honest, I am also realizing I need a refresher on the rules. Could you please help??? Would it be "He sang a good song." or "He sung a good song." Noteworthy..I am very embarassed that I cannot figure this out...

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My son is having difficulty with using sang and sung in the appropriate tense. To be completely honest, I am also realizing I need a refresher on the rules. Could you please help??? Would it be "He sang a good song.":tick: or "He sung a good song.":cross: ...
sing...(present tense) He sings that song every day.
sang...(past tense) He sang that song five times yesterday.
sung..(present perfect tense) He has sung that song hundreds of times.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
My son is having difficulty with using sang and sung in the appropriate tense. To be completely honest, I am also realizing I need a refresher on the rules. Could you please help??? Would it be "He sang a good song." or "He sung a good song." Noteworthy..I am very embarrassed that I cannot figure this out...

Don't be embarrassed, Unreg. The correct choice for your speaking dialect is what your dialect uses. Some use 'sung' as a simple past, some, more it seems, use 'sang' as the simple past.

The dictionaries, Merriam Webster and AHD list both as inflected forms;

+++++++++++++
M-W

Main Entry:
1sing
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
sang or sung

va=sing - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AHD

sing

VERB: Inflected forms: sang or sung

sing. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

+++++++++++++++++

Status
Not open for further replies.