• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Presenting say and tell to students?

Hi,

My students understand the difference between say and tell, but are not able to apply it to their speech- they still make sentences like " I said you--" or " I said him ---" . I have been thinking of ways of presenting the difference to them ( rather than just giving them examples ).
    Would a concordance with both verbs help? Or perhaps samples of reported speech?
    Also, are there any activities my students could do - other than making sentences- to practice the target language?

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
    Arun

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Presenting say and tell to students?

Quote Originally Posted by greystroke View Post
    Hi,

My students understand the difference between say and tell, but are not able to apply it to their speech- they still make sentences like " I said you--" or " I said him ---" . I have been thinking of ways of presenting the difference to them ( rather than just giving them examples ).
    Would a concordance with both verbs help? Or perhaps samples of reported speech?
    Also, are there any activities my students could do - other than making sentences- to practice the target language?

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
    Arun
    The only way to learn to do something is by doing it, Arun. Copious practice should instill this in their brains.

A: Go to the blackboard. [turns to another student, B]

A: I told him to go to the blackboard. I said to him, "Go to the blackboard".

[B describes it to C, then C to D and so on.]

B: He told him to go to the blackboard. He said to him, and I quote, "Go to the blackboard".

Vary the verbs/actions so they're learning new words and the don't get bored; saunter/waddle/limp/stumble/...

Do other actions of course.

greystroke is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Presenting say and tell to students?

Thanks Riverkid,

I was thinking of " Simon Says" but i think the activity you have suggested is better.

Arun