• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just my grumbling on some people

I realized I don't write often enough to improve my writing skills and I thought I'd put my honest thoughts into my writing. If I do this often enough, I may start a blog of my own, but that's just a plan far from being materialized.

Can I ask you to proofread this thread, not just the following writing but also this very sentence I'm writing?

It is all too familiar a scene: you're trying to study at a study hall and the people beside you chat away like they simply don't care. I'm doing my reading on the 4th floor of Morissette library at the University of Ottawa where silence is explicitly stated as a requirement, and yet a group of three and a girl behind them are having their chitchats with no regard to people around them. I had told them once to keep it down after putting up with them for more than 10 minutes, but after the initial response they simply kept on. They eventually left, but I've wasted more than 20 minutes trying to put up with the noise.

I really don't understand these people. Just one floor upstairs is a more lax study hall where they are allowed to talk: they could've gone there to study / chat, and yet instead they chose to be here, where silence should be respected, and distract others. Oh look, they've just come back. I want to give them shit, but then I'd get worked up and lose concentration for the rest of the night. I halfa want to guillotine-choke the life out of those impudent little POSs. Rules aren't there for nothing. They are there to be kept. Just like I can't pummel their faces until they're dead just because they are being a bunch of jerks. If there are silent study area signs on the walls they mean exactly what they say: just shut up and study. Even rules aside, is it not a common sense to stay quiet and not distract others at study halls? I'd really like to see their parents just to see what kind of people they are, the kind of people responsible for upbringing those unruly bastards.

Oh, and those of you who use cellphones in study halls, you people are even worse. You are total disgrace to mankind and should just hang yourselves. Please do me and many others who wish to just focus a favor and walk out of the study area if you need to talk on the cellphone.

I don't care much for the formality (and I've used a lot of vulgar words and profanities as this is supposed to reflect my honest thoughts), but any suggestions on improving this piece of writing would much be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- HKB

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just my grumbling on some people

Quote Originally Posted by HaraKiriBlade View Post
    I realized I don't write often enough to improve my writing skills and I thought I'd put my honest thoughts into my writing. If I do this often enough, I may start a blog of my own, but that's just a plan far from being materialized.

Can I ask you to proofread this thread, not just the following writing but also this very sentence I'm writing?

It is all too familiar a scene: you're trying to study at a study hall and the people beside you chat away like they simply don't care. I'm doing my reading on the 4th floor of Morissette library at the University of Ottawa where silence is explicitly stated as a requirement, and yet a group of three and a girl behind them are having their chitchats [chattering/gossiping] with no regard to people around them. I had told them once to keep it down after putting up with them for more than 10 minutes, but after the initial response they simply kept on. They eventually left, but I've wasted more than 20 minutes trying to put up with the noise.

I really don't understand these people. Just one floor upstairs is a more lax [more relaxed/laxer] study hall where they are allowed to talk; they could've gone there to study / chat, and yet instead they chose to be here, where silence should be respected, and distract others. Oh look, they've just come back. I want to give them shit, but then I'd get worked up and lose concentration for the rest of the night. I half want to choke the life out of those impudent little POSs. Rules aren't there for nothing. They are there to be kept [for a reason] . Just like I can't pummel their faces until they're dead just because they are being a bunch of jerks. If there are silent study area signs on the walls, they mean exactly what they say: just shut up and study. Rules aside, is it not common sense to stay quiet and not distract others at study halls? I'd really like to meet their parents just to see what kind of people they are, the kind of people responsible for upbringing [bringing up/raising] those unruly bastards.

Oh, and those of you who use cellphones in study halls, you people are even worse. You are total disgraces to mankind and should just hang yourselves. Please do me and many others who wish to focus a favor and walk out of the study area if you need to talk on the cellphone.

I don't care much for the formality (and I've used a lot of vulgar words and profanities as this is supposed to reflect my honest thoughts), but any suggestions on improving this piece of writing would much be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

- HKB
    It's pretty good! I do so sympathise.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestion: It is an all too familiar scene:

Suggestion: take out the "over the top" reactions to these rude people (bashing heads in??)

Easy does it!

You are observing rudeness and disregard for library regulations. While these girls irritate you, you don't have to react to it - just report it.

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

(bashing heads in??)
    susiedqq, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

" Just like I can't pummel their faces until they're dead just because they are being a bunch of jerks."