Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Unregistered Guest

Default me either or me neither

Hi, I'm Ji-seon living in Seoul, Korea.
    I've learned that I can use 'me either' when I'd like to agree to someone's statement that includes 'not': If A says "I don't like this.", I can say "Neither do I" or "me either". But my friend told me that "me either" is American English. In addtion to it, the other friend told me that "me either" is not correct in grammar and that I should say "me neither". Now I'm lost. Would you please help me?
    Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: me either or me neither

me either and me neither are both correct and informal,although the first one is american english
    i donot like it
    me either
    or
    me neither

2006 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've learned that I can use 'me either' when I'd like to agree to someone's statement that includes 'not': If A says "I don't like this.", I can say "Neither do I" or "me either". But my friend told me that "me either" is American English. In addtion to it, the other friend told me that "me either" is not correct in grammar and that I should say "me neither". Now I'm lost. Would you please help me? "me either" is illogical.
    Thank you in advance.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I've learned that I can use 'me either' when I'd like to agree to someone's statement that includes 'not': If A says "I don't like this.", I can say "Neither do I" or "me either". But my friend told me that "me either" is American English. In addtion to it, the other friend told me that "me either" is not correct in grammar and that I should say "me neither". Now I'm lost. Would you please help me?
    Thank you in advance.
    Both are fine for informal, everyday language use, Ji-seon. 'me either' means exactly the same thing as 'me neither'. If it were illogical, nobody would understand. Everyone understands, and both are used, seemingly, 'me either' is much more common than 'me neither'.

US region google search -
    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,740,000 English pages for "me either"

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,920,000 English pages for "me neither".

Canada region google search -

Results 1 - 10 of about 38,600 English pages for "me neither".

Results 1 - 10 of about 74,100 English pages for "me either".

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

[quote=riverkid;253574]Both are fine for informal, everyday language use, Ji-seon. 'me either' means exactly the same thing as 'me neither'. If it were illogical, nobody would understand. Everyone understands, and both are used, seemingly, 'me either' is much more common than 'me neither'.

Here, "illogical" has nothing to do with understanding. It has to do with what clearly makes more sense. Here is another example.
    A...I didn't like that movie.
    B...Neither did I. (logical because it contains a negative word)
    B...Either did I. (illogical)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    Here, "illogical" has nothing to do with understanding. It has to do with what clearly makes more sense. Here is another example.
    A...I didn't like that movie.
    B...Neither did I. (logical because it contains a negative word)
    B...Either did I. (illogical)

Logical has everything to do with understanding, 2006, because languages create their own logic. The prescriptivists missed this with their poor analysis of the double negative. There are many idioms that make no sense to ESLs but they work perfectly for native speakers.

You've set out an example, above, that is unnatural. The issue for this thread was 'me either'. And it's perfectly natural in language to use ellipsis, is it not?

We could switch your example around,

A:I liked that movie.

B: Neither did I.

and have what appears to be an illogical answer, yet it is perfectly understandable and what's more important, it says something different, it creates a language nuance.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Logical has everything to do with understanding, 2006, because languages create their own logic. The prescriptivists missed this with their poor analysis of the double negative. Garbage! There are many idioms that make no sense to ESLs but they work perfectly for native speakers. Don't change the subject; we aren't talking about idioms.

You've set out an example, above, that is unnatural. Not unnatural at all to people who speak correct standard English.The issue for this thread was 'me either'. And it's perfectly natural in language to use ellipsis, is it not? Don't be ridiculous! Saying "me either" instead of 'me neither' is not an ellipsis; it's just bad English.
    I suppose to you, 'Neither one would work.' and 'Either one would work.' mean the same thing.

If you want to speak confused garbage English, go ahead but you shouldn't spread it around at an ESL site. Get lost!
    and have what appears to be an illogical answer, yet it is perfectly understandable and what's more important, it says something different, it creates a language nuance.

Grablevskij is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Me too.
    Me neither.

My choice.

Michael

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grablevskij View Post
    Me too.
    Me neither.

My choice.
    Good for you!
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

riverkid
    Logical has everything to do with understanding, 2006, because languages create their own logic. The prescriptivists missed this with their poor analysis of the double negative.
    2006 replied: Garbage!

Do you then consider the prescriptive argument on double negatives a good argument, 2006?

riverkid
    There are many idioms that make no sense to ESLs but they work perfectly for native speakers.
    2006 replied: Don't change the subject; we aren't talking about idioms.

No, we were discussing the issue of logic in language. I pointed out that languages create their own logic. You haven't addressed this. [That's the second thing you haven't addressed.]

riverkid
    You've set out an example, above, that is unnatural.
    2006 replied: Not unnatural at all to people who speak correct standard English.

The third thing.

US region google search -
    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,740,000 English pages for "me either"

Results 1 - 10 of about 1,920,000 English pages for "me neither".

Canada region google search -

Results 1 - 10 of about 38,600 English pages for "me neither".

Results 1 - 10 of about 74,100 English pages for "me either".

As we can plainly see, if one is willing to address the truth, it that 'me either' outnumbers 'me neither' by a rather large margin.

riverkid
    The issue for this thread was 'me either'. And it's perfectly natural in language to use ellipsis, is it not?
    2006 replied:
    Don't be ridiculous! Saying "me either" instead of 'me neither' is not an ellipsis; it's just bad English.
    I suppose to you, 'Neither one would work.' and 'Either one would work.' mean the same thing.

You've actually addressed an issue, not that I'm counting.

In the situation you've set out above, no, they do not mean the same thing. Not at all a surprising turn of events for a language that depend so much on word order for meaning.

Are you suggesting that, in the following dialogue, B's and C's replies are different in meaning?

A: I don't like pizza.

B: Me either.

C: Me neither.

riverkid

2006 replied:
    If you want to speak confused garbage English, go ahead but you shouldn't spread it around at an ESL site. Get lost!

What are we at now, 2006, 4, 5, 2006, whatever.

Do you deny that there is no way that B can reply with a "Neither did I" to A's statement?
    Last edited by riverkid; 13-Feb-2008 at 19:32.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast