Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    What does 'for less' mean?

    Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.

  1. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: What does 'for less' mean?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.
    She found a better dress, one for less the price of the one she had been looking for. :D


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3
    How do you know? Why not less ugly? :D

    Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    How do you know? Why not less ugly? :D

    Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.
    Good point. Context is helpful. :D

    Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.


    • Join Date: May 2004
    • Posts: 727
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    How do you know? Why not less ugly? :D

    Don't you think someone there omitted tooo many words? It is a lazy sentence.
    Good point. Context is helpful. :D

    Instead of slinking away disppointed, she looked around and found a better dress-for less.
    Is is also used in store names for off price stores - Ross for Less, Dress for Less ....


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Thanks, Cas and Twostep. :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2004
    • Posts: 637
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7
    Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHope
    Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"
    It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHope
    Hmm, I also didn't get "Instead of slinking away disppointed", only could understand "Instead of slinking away and disppointed"
    It's a past participle modifying that the person, who is slinking away, felt disappointed. :D
    Good eye!

    Instead of slinking away disppointed (because she couldn't find the dress she wanted), she looked around and found a better dress, one for less (i.e., the price, the hassle/trouble). :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •