Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What does 'how' mean?

In contrast, bronze metalists focus on how if they'd performanced slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does 'how' mean?

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    In contrast, bronze metalists focus on how if they'd performanced slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.

Odd sentence. :( Shouldn't there be a period somewhere? It's kinf of run-on-ish. Also, 'performanced' is a new word for me. Is that how it was written? Lastly, since I can't make out the meaning of the entire array, I'm guessing that "how" refers to "how to do something".

:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea

Odd sentence. :( Shouldn't there be a period somewhere? It's kinf of run-on-ish. Also, 'performanced' is a new word for me. Is that how it was written? Lastly, since I can't make out the meaning of the entire array, I'm guessing that "how" refers to "how to do something".

:0D
    True, that's a new word for you!
    Oops. I made a silly typing mistake. It should be 'performed' and there's no period. I still don't get it by the usge of 'how' here. Can I omit it?

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="blacknomi"]
    It should be 'performed' and there's no period. I still don't get it by the usge of 'how' here. Can I omit it?

In contrast, bronze metalists focus on how if they'd performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.
    Seems like "how" is required (i.e., 'focus on' something). As for what 'how' represents, I still can't make it out because the sentence is a run-on. There are too many subjects: There are two independent clauses and one dependent clause.

bronze metalists focus on how if they'd performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.
    By the way, shouldn't 'metalists' be "medalists", with a "d"?

Susie Smith Guest

It should be 'performed' and there's no period. I still don't get it by the usge of 'how' here. Can I omit it?

In contrast, bronze metalists focus on how if they'd performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.
    It sounds better like this.

In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how they wouldn't have won anything if they'd performed slightly worse.

:wink:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how they wouldn't have won anything if they'd performed slightly worse.

The original sentence was from a famous magazine from Tdol's country.
    How about this,
    In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how they would have won if they'd performed slightly worse.

I move 2 eye-catching-and-make-me-confused negatives out of the context. Does that have the same meaning like yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

I think you are changing the meaning of the sentence. They do not focus on not having won silver but on what could have cost them bronce. No negative at all.

Post Thanks / Like

How about this,
    In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how they would have won if they'd performed slightly worse.
    Would you have the sentence that comes before that? :D By the way, '-d' of 'they'd' could also mean 'had'.

...if they had performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.

Post Thanks / Like

But research suggests athletes who win bronze medals are actually happier. This is because silver medalists think that if they'd performed slightly better, they might have won the gold medal. In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how if they'd performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.

This is the whole context. I know the overall meaning but I don't really get the usage of 'how' here. Is it clearer now? :( :D

Post Thanks / Like

But research suggests athletes who win bronze medals are actually happier. This is because silver medalists think that if they'd performed slightly better, they might have won the gold medal. In contrast, bronze medalists focus on how if they'd performed slightly worse, they wouldn't have won anything.

This is the whole context. I know the overall meaning but I don't really get the usage of 'how' here. Is it clearer now? :( :D

See it as why but with a more physical appeal.

By the way - that researcher has never won a silver medal. :wink:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast