Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domaren
    It looks like you people are tying yourselves up in knots over this.
    Not at all.
    :D Dialogue is important. :D
    This is a teaching site. 8)

Welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, and I do learn a lot. Thank you guys for always teaching this retarded lady with great patience. :D

Post Thanks / Like

The preposition phrase is ambiguous!

Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, by "period", I assume you mean "full stop". I am constantly dumbfounded as to why Americans felt the need to subsitute a perfectly clear word with only one clear meaning ("full stop") for one which shares its meaning with "a quantity of time", "era" and "menstuation".
    Do you object to the use of the word 'colon' on the grounds that it could be confused with the large intestine?

Domaren Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    It looks like you people are tying yourselves up in knots over this.
    Not at all.
    :D Dialogue is important. :D
    This is a teaching site. 8)

Welcome.
    Thank you kindly.

It is a learning site as well, I hope.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a learning site as well, I hope.
    Yes, it is! :D We look forward to learning from you. 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    The preposition phrase is ambiguous!

Thank you guys for always teaching this retarded lady with great patience.
    But,...I understood it.

By the way, the word 'retarded', especially when it refers to a person, is no longer PC (politically correct). :( Try, mentally challenged--and yet that term too might raise eyebrows.

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, by "period", I assume you mean "full stop". I am constantly dumbfounded as to why Americans felt the need to subsitute a perfectly clear word with only one clear meaning ("full stop") for one which shares its meaning with "a quantity of time", "era" and "menstuation".
    Actually, the word 'period' is from Latin periodus meaning, a complete sentence. As for 'full stop', isn't that what drivers are suppose to do at a stop sign? Make a full stop? :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by etymonline.com
    period - 1413, "course or extent of time," from M.L. periodus "recurring portion, cycle," from L. periodus "a complete sentence," also "cycle of the Greek games," from Gk. periodos "rounded sentence, cycle, circuit, period of time," lit. "going around," from peri- "around" + hodos "a going, way, journey." Sense of "repeated cycle of events" led to that of "interval of time." Meaning "dot marking end of a sentence" first recorded 1609, from similar use in M.L. Sense of "menstruation" dates from 1822. Educational sense of "portion of time set apart for a lesson" is from 1876. Sporting sense attested from 1898.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Do you object to the use of the word 'colon' on the grounds that it could be confused with the large intestine?
    You might have something there: long and short -o

Quote Originally Posted by etymonline.com
    colon (1) - "punctuation mark," 1550, from Gk. kolon (with a long initial -o-) "part of a verse," lit. "limb," from PIE base *(s)kel- "to bend, crooked." Meaning evolved from "independent clause" to punctuation mark that sets it off.
    colon (2) - "large intestine," 1398, from Gk. kolon (with a short initial -o-) "large intestine, food, meat."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3