What does "in your face" mean ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assassin

Member Type
Student or Learner
When my teacher asks me to take part in a group which has a boy I really hate, he always says " in your face " and then the teacher smiles.

I don't understand what " in your face " means ??? :roll:

Member Type
Academic
'In your face' is not the nicest thing someone could say to you! In fact, it's another way of mocking by suggesting that you have been wronged and there is nothing you can do about it. It's a lexical (word) way of pointing a finger at someone and laughing with arrogant confidence. You might want to try ignoring the taunt.

Uncle M

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It can mean 'aggressively rude' or merely 'very persuasive'. It's rude to speak to someone very close face-to-face, hence the expression.

Very bold, forthright communications such as advertisements with strong messages or visual images are often described as 'in your face'.

In other words, they are difficult to ignore.

Dave

Assassin

Member Type
Student or Learner
That boy stood far from me, pointed at me and said that to me, so was he rude or did he just want to tease me like a child teases another child ? Can I say that to another person in the meaning of teasing them ? :lol: (I don't want to be rude >_<)

Anyway, thanks for your definition ^^

Member Type
Academic
It can be done in a friendly kind of way. Depends how it's said really. It's not the nicest thing to do, but it's not the worst!

Status
Not open for further replies.