Post Thanks / Like

Default How long from Intermediate to Upper-intermediate?

Hello! I'm from Russia. I'm new at this forum and I really like that many people from many countries may ask here questions about english and practice it with other members.

My level is intermediate. And I'd like to know how long will it take to achieve Upper-Intermediate. I know it depends only on me. I study english every day and do it very hard. My vocobulary is about 3000 words. My knowlege in grammara in basic. How do you think. If I star learning english at least three hours a day will I have been able to use English on Upper-Intermediate level by the summer?
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How long from Intermediate to Upper-intermediate?

Your writing in the post already shows that you are doing well as an intermediate student.

In order to reach the upper intermediate level you should, as you have already suggested, increase your vocabulary, but you have also to focus on listening and speaking. Are you practising listening?

I highly recommend that you also read articles from Encarta Encyclopedia 2007. This encyclopedia is of two parts: the first one is purely academic that uses a fairly advanced English, while the other part is for kids which uses intermediate/upper-intermediate level. It is highly recommended that you read the articles in the Kids part as it teaches you a lot of vocabulary.

Wish you all the best...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: How long from Intermediate to Upper-intermediate?

Mohammed Abu Risha
    Thanks a lot for your reply.
    Yes I'm practicing listening. I like reading in English especially belles-lettres. But you didn't answer to my question completely. Will I have been able to use the English language on an upper-intermediate level by the beginning of the summer?
    And what do you think about reading belles-lettres? What's better, reading belles-lettres or articles from the internet for increasing my vocabulary.
    Also I'd like to ask you. What do you think about my writiing? Do I make too many mistakes?

Post Thanks / Like

I took English courses when I was 16 years old. Every level took me three months to finish. So, basically there is nothing to prevent you from reaching the upper-intermediate level by the summer.

As for increasing your vocabulary, I suggest you do the following:

1-Read articles from the Encarta Kids. It is very useful and is replete with useful vocabulary.

2-Use such dictioanries as Collins Cobuild English Language Dictioanry. It explains the words you need in a very simple and good way supported with examples.

It is not advisable to start reading texts from here and there. Some texts are very difficult to understand and may lead the learner to stop reading. This is why it is good for you to read the Encarta Kids Encyclopedia.

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: How long from Intermediate to Upper-intermediate?

Well, how about reading some articles of your best interests? Say, if you like art, read about art. If you like science, read science. This may kill the boredom. And since the topics you'd be trying out are interesting to you, learning the vocabulary wouldn't be that tedious at all.

You could hands down reach the level you wanted, of course, but that would all depend on the efforts you exert and how you organize your studying now. I think that for one to step on Upper-intermediate, he should master the intermediate level at first so not to find the proceeding level backbreaking.

Post Thanks / Like

Your written English definitely shows that you have a strong understanding and ability. But don't forget to speak as much as possible, too. Writing and speaking are both productive skills, but you can take your time when writing a response. Speaking needs to be much quicker for communication to be effective, so don't neglect this skill. Additionally, whenever you speak in a conversation, you are also practicing your listening.

Good luck. You're already pretty close to the upper-intermediate level!

Chris Cotter
    Heads Up English - Just print, and teach!
    English Lesson Plans | Heads Up English | ESL EFL

e2e4 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
      • Current Location:
      • Bosnia Herzegovina
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by basketball-player View Post
    Hello! I'm from Russia. I'm new at this to the forum and I really like that many people from many different countries may are able to ask here their questions here about eEnglish and practicse it with other members.

My level is intermediate, I think. And I'd like to know how long will it take to achieve Upper-Intermediate. I know it depends only on me but much. I study eEnglish every day and I do it very hard. My vocoabulary is about 3000 words. My knowlege in the grammara ins basic. How What do you think.? If I start learning eEnglish at least three hours a day will I have been able to could I use English on at Upper-Intermediate level by the (next summer) summer?
    Thanks in advance.
    My try might help you at your getting on.

You must read books but written in proper English so as to get into the string of the usage of the language.

I try as might, as well, but it is shame to tell you how slow it is going along.