Thread: Some concerns

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Some concerns

Although I've only been visting for about a week, I've noticed a couple of things which, in my opinion, warrant highlighting:

Firstly, I am very impressed by the level of understanding that many overseas members seem to possess of the English language. I read a particular post from a Swedish source yesterday that stopped me in my tracks with its complexity. I must admit that alot of the knowledge intrinsic to these threads rivals that of the marjority of native English speakers!

(Congratulation aside, I am also concerned that foreign learners of English don't get too bogged-down by grammatical systems, labels, etc. to the detriment of learning the language).

Secondly, it seems that some of the advice returned to those creating new information-gathering posts is quite simply wrong. Among others, I read a reply to a grammatical question which voiced the sentiment that correct grammar didn't really matter - and this from a teacher of English!

Please let me have your thoughts. SB.

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some concerns

I think you have to take into consideration that too much attention to grammar too early on destroys fluency. I have seen this time and time again with students of English and also with learners of other languages. Of course grammar is important but most people study a language so they can communicate. If they are frightened to open their mouths because they are afraid of making grammatical errors, they might as well not study at all. Accuracy comes with time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Some concerns

Horsa, I couldn't agree more. The expression 'don't run before you can walk' comes to mind.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Some concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare's brother View Post
    Among others, I read a reply to a grammatical question which voiced the sentiment that correct grammar didn't really matter - and this from a teacher of English!
    Surely, no one would dare suggest such a thing, SB.