• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Please show me the tools

I'm new to this community. I"m originally from Taiwan, and learned English in junior and high school for 6 years. I've been in the US for 12 years and picking up the language by ways of conversation, watching TV and listening to radio. I would love to improve my learning in a more effective and strutural way.

It seems my biggest problem is understanding the exact meaning of a word, even when given a dictionary definition, and the correct usage of it. For example: in the Webster's dictionary, the definition of the word "facetious" is: joking, eps. at an inappropriate time. I, in some wierd way, took it to mean close to being "flighty" as in "silly or slightly demented" as defined in the same dictionary. I used that word when commenting on someone at a party and that of course caused embarrasement and confusion. Maybe I just don't understand the word "flighty" either.

I've spent hours navigating the internet to find a site to best suit my needs and goals but to no avail. I even signed up for a "one word a day" program which turned out to be of medical termology that's way over my head and unapplicable to me. I really need help in this particular area and as well as others, if someone can guide me in my private learning and show the tools to improve where I need most, that would be just wonderful. Thanks a lot!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please show me the tools

Sometimes it helps to look at more than one dictionary - this site is worth using: OneLook Dictionary Search

Another way to check words and what they might mean is using a thesaurus: Thesaurus.com

Otherwise it is a case of reading and listening as much as you can. We are always happy to try and help if you want to clarify the meaning and use of English.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much Angelika!

I'm liking the site a lot....and the instant interaction on the forum. Thanks.

• Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.