• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you cook for yourself?

Dear friends here, I am trying to write something in English in the hope of starting a discussion as well as improving my writing. As an English teacher whose first language is not English, I doubt whether I can get my ideas across without sounding too foreign to native speakers of English. If you happen to come across my writing and you happen to be a native speaker of English, would you please let me know how you feel about my writing. If there's anything that is not properly expressed in my writing, please tell me. Many thanks to those who are kind enough to help me.

With a full time job at a middle school, I always try to find time in my tight schedule every day to cook for myself and my family.
    There are several reasons for it. First, I am concerned about the bad sanitation in most of the local restaurants in my area. Some colleagues of mine have running stomachs after they eat in those restaurants. Secondly, I think it is worth the effort to prepare food for my family and myself as far as a healthy diet is concerned. If we eat out, we tend to take in more fatty food than vegetables and fruits, which will eventually contributes to a lot of health problems. Thirdly, I enjoy wondering through the stands of pork , fish and vegetables in a market. The abundance of the various food materials stimulates my creativity in cooking. Lastly, I really enjoy being praised by my family about the delicious dishes I make for them.
    None of my family members complains about a bad appetite. They simply can't wait to eat at dinner time.

susiedqq is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do you cook for yourself?

Even, or In spite of having With a full-time job at a middle school, I always try to find time in my tight schedule every day to cook for myself and my family.

There are several reasons for this. First, I am concerned about the bad sanitation in most of the local restaurants in my area. Some colleagues of mine have running stomachs (have had indigestion or digestive problems after eating) after they eat in those restaurants. Secondly, I think it is worth the effort to prepare food for my family and myself as far as a healthy diet is concerned. When we eat out, we tend to take in more fatty food than vegetables and fruits, which may eventually contribute to health problems later on. Thirdly, I enjoy wandering through the stands displaying pork , fish, and vegetables in a market. The abundance of the various foods stimulates my creativity in cooking. Lastly, I really enjoy being praised by my family about the delicious dishes I make for them.
    None of my family members complains about my home cooking. They simply can't wait to eat my creations at dinner time.

Good job - just some spelling errors and I included suggestions on wording. Keep writing!

flowerseed is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Even, or In spite of having With a full-time job at a middle school, I always try to find time in my tight schedule every day to cook for myself and my family.
    There are several reasons for this. First, I am concerned about the bad sanitation in most of the local restaurants in my area. Some colleagues of mine have running stomachs (have had indigestion or digestive problems after eating) after they eat in those restaurants. Secondly, I think it is worth the effort to prepare food for my family and myself as far as a healthy diet is concerned. When we eat out, we tend to take in more fatty food than vegetables and fruits, which may eventually contribute to health problems later on. Thirdly, I enjoy wandering through the stands displaying pork , fish, and vegetables in a market. The abundance of the various foods stimulates my creativity in cooking. Lastly, I really enjoy being praised by my family about the delicious dishes I make for them.
    None of my family members complains about my home cooking. They simply can't wait to eat my creations at dinner time.

Good job - just some spelling errors and I included suggestions on wording. Keep writing!
    I just can't thank you enough for revising my writing, susiedqq !

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Now this is a revised version of my previous writing.

In spite of having a full-time job at a middle school, I always try to find time in my tight schedule every day to cook for myself and my family.
    There are several reasons for this. Firstly, I am concerned about the bad sanitation in most of the local restaurants in my area. Some colleagues of mine have had digestive problems after eating in those restaurants. Secondly, I think it is worth the effort to prepare food for my family and myself as far as a healthy diet is concerned. When we eat out, we tend to take in more fatty food than vegetables and fruits, which may eventually contribute to health problems later on. Thirdly, I enjoy wandering through the stands displaying pork , fish, and vegetables in a market. The abundance of the various foods stimulates my creativity in cooking. Lastly, I really enjoy being praised by my family about the delicious dishes I make for them.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job

Now --- you have made changes in your paragraph.

Do you know the REASON for each of the changes?

If you understand WHY you made the changes, THAT process is how you lmake your English better!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

to susiedQQ, Yes, I think I understand why those changes should be made. Thank you again for your encouragement and consideration!

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

the bad sanitation

Sanitation is the disposing of effluents. In terms of the restaurants and their kitchens, I would use "the poor level of kitchen hygiene"

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We have sanitation codes, sanitation reviews, and sanitation systems for all restaurants. (US)

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanitation = the systems for taking dirty water and other waste products away from buildings in order to protect people's health; the promotion of hygiene and prevention of disease by maintenance of sanitary conditions (as by removal of sewage and trash) - so you will need to have regulations.

But the kitchen's hygiene is also concerned with keeping work surfaces and tools clean, keeping food and ingredients at the correct temperatures, ensuring that there is not contamination of foodstuffs.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for making me clear about the difference between sanitation and ketchen hygiene !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast