• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can't do it on my own

and I wonder if anyone is willing to help me with it. Anyone please?!

I'm giving myself a challenge: Learn 5 new words a day, and use them in a paragraph.

I'll take any 5 new words from you and find the difinition of each word, and write a short paragraph (no one in their right mind likes reading a long one) using the new words to the best of my ability of understanding. (Does this last part of the sentence correct or make sense by the way?)

I did this before on my own (without writing paragraphs), unfortunately it didn't last long. There's no way to know if I got the words right or not, so very often and quickly I forgot the words that I had learned. So if anyone who's generous enough to take on the challenge with me, gosh, I don't know, that would be just God-sent. Please anyone?!

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I can't do it on my own

I will try to help but how advanced do you want it to be?

Your english appears to be very sound.

I will start with some you may not have come upon.

A Goth

A Mystery Shopper

Slideshow

Inheritance

A semi-detatched

I am learning Thai and find that it helps learning 5 a day

Best of luck
    Last edited by Stilo; 24-Feb-2008 at 12:24.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice for you is to have a dictionary called Collins Cobuild English Language Dictioanry. This dictioanry gives you the word, its definition and an example on how to use that word.

It is also recommended that you read the Encarta Encyclopedia for Kids. It uses a simplified yet very idiomatic English.

The problem of forgetting the learnt words can be solve by reading and reading and reading. So, read.

Anyways, if you want to learn five words a day, how can we tell which word you know and which one you don't?

NearThere is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To Stilo: Thanks so much for helpling, I didn't really expect anyone would care to work with me, that's a great start, I'll come back with a paragraph tonight. Thanks again.

When I started the post, I did wonder how would anyone know what words I have learned or haven't and or level of vocabulary that I am on since I've never been tested if there's such a test. I thought maybe I'd ask for 10 words and there'd have to be at least 5 words that I don't yet know, but then again that would seem to put too much burden on strangers even if ther're willing to help. So really, I'm a little stuck. But this is a good start, I'll start soon.

As for the the advice of deligent reading from Mohammed. Trust me. I had tried deligently (then again, this too seems like a relative term), either my method was wrong or just miserably ungifted, the words just didn't stick in most cases.

blouen is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Why not read articles that interest you the most? This, I guess, would leave some things in your shell.

Your activity is quite interesting. You know, I enjoy reading and writing. I read but couldn't write, not that I couldn't but I don't have the time or quite lazy to. Let me try to find some words here for you, in which I too can make a paragraph with.

These might be easy for you though:

1. Redemption
    2. Retaliate
    3. Retribution
    4. Renegade
    5. Robust

Now you have 5 R's here.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"She called herself a mystery shopper, she collects mysteries and she's obssessed with them. With the generous inheritance she got from her wealthy grandfather from whom she's emotionaly semi-detached due to an obscure family feud between her parents and their parents, she's able to travel the world to fullfill her obssession. She feels empowered with the money she has, really, money can buy you a lot of possibilities. Right now she's in Germany, after being shown a slideshow regarding artifacts found in the ruins of Roman Empire, and a mysterious acount on a Goth. She knows she won't be going home empty-handed..."

The word that I had to look up was "Goth" defined in Webster's dictionary which as: "any member of the Germanic people that conquered most of the Roman Empire in the 3rd, 4th and 5th c. A.D." As you can probably tell, I'm not feeling the definition. What does that really mean anyway?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To Blouen: thanks so much. That's a great advice, I'm not kidding you, that's what I have been trying to do. My problem is to decide what article is "in my shell"?

I'll get to it with the 5 words later, thanks a million!!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

A "goth" for me is a person part of a group of usually rock musicians, but not all, with black eye shadows and wearing black shirts and pants almost everyday. I hope I'm right(crossing my fingers).

That's what I have been doing. I like religion so much that it gets my blood running just hearing the topic popping up. I read a lot about other religions and other denominations in Christianity.I think I haven't done enough though, I have been quite a slacker lately. I need to go back to the saddle and do the things I really enjoy doing.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

PHP Code:
    "goth" for me is a person part of a group of usually rock musiciansbut not allwith black eye shadows and wearing black shirts and pants almost everydayI hope I'm right(crossing my fingers). 
    Should I just abandon my Webster dinctionary? It mentions none of your explanation of the word, I was lost with its "sole" difinition.

Ok, here's the paragraph, the only word I'm not sure of is "renegade", I first guessed it to be a "verb", but it turns out to be a "noun":

"They were in a robust relationship she believed, but after what he did to her he's hoping for redemption. It would have been easier to retaliate by burning down the house he's paying the mortgage for, she would be order to pay a restitution for it maybe some jail time, yes that would have been easier. But she's planning way bigger plan than that one that would justify his action of being the renegade of thier dream, it was both thier dream which is no more........"

Are the usage of these words correct and appropriate? With me it's a common occurence that there's a gap between the actual meaning of the word and my understanding of it.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NearThere View Post
    PHP Code:
    "goth" for me is a person part of a group of usually rock musiciansbut not allwith black eye shadows and wearing black shirts and pants almost everydayI hope I'm right(crossing my fingers). 
    Should I just abandon my Webster dinctionary? It mentions none of your explanation of the word, I was lost with its "sole" difinition.
    from Dictionary.com
    1. A style of rock music, noted especially for somber or ethereal tones and lugubrious lyrics.
    2. A performer or follower of this style of music.

Here's another one :
    a crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement

And check this out:
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...8&fp_ip=PH&vc=

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast