• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How much time do you spend watching TV daily?

A revised version of my previous writing. Hearty thanks go to Mohammed Abu Risha and Stilo , who have helped me a lot in revising it.

TV Problems

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote to someone else. Whenever I hear my familiy members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have someting more worth doing?

Being a teacher of English, I alway find myself failing to grasp the meaning of the editorials or articles in New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts. This inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit in fornt of a TV set and enjoy watching the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired from learning or working and need some entertainment to relax,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head instead of watching TV and the only radio program I'd tune in is BBC world service broadcasting.

My husband feels luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But, he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader at weekends. My daughter is shun from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV at weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploration programs, like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broaden her horizon and enrich her knowledge of the world. I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a small girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals about their lives. Mine is to improve my English to live up to my duty as a teacher of English and to guide my daughter in a positive direction of growing up.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseed View Post
    A revised version of my previous writing. Hearty thanks go to Mohammed Abu Risha and Stilo , who have helped me a lot in revising it.

TV Problems

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote to someone else. Whenever I hear my familiy members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have someting more worth doing?

Although a teacher of English, I alway find myself failing to grasp the meaning of the editorials or articles in the New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts. This inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit in fornt of a TV set and enjoy watching the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired from learning or working and need some entertainment to relax,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head instead of watching TV and the only radio program I tune in to is BBC world service broadcasting.

My husband feels luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader, at weekends. My daughter is banned from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV at weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploration programs, like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broaden her horizon and enrich her knowledge of the world. I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a little girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals in their lives. Mine is to improve my English, to live up to my duty as a teacher of English, and to guide my daughter in a positive direction while growing up.

flowerseed is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

A newly-revised version. Hearty thanks go to Anglika, the respectable moderator!

TV Problems

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote to someone else. Whenever I hear my family members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have something more worth doing?

Although a teacher of English, I alway find myself failing to grasp the meaning of the editorials or articles in the New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts. This inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit in front of a TV set and enjoy watching the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired from learning or working and need some entertainment to relax,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head instead of watching TV and the only radio program I tune in to is BBC world service broadcasting.

My husband feels luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader, at weekends. My daughter is banned from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV at weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploration programs, like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broaden her horizon and enrich her knowledge of the world. I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a little girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals in their lives. Mine is to improve my English, to live up to my duty as a teacher of English, and to guide my daughter in a positive direction while growing up.

Stilo is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Flowerseed

I quickly read your piece and the remote stood out but I have re-read and as a native born english speaker there are a few points that would be better put in a more concise way. Originally I gave up as it did go on a bit.

I agree with your feelings with regard to "I am tired of learning and working" it does change the meaning. I would perfer you to rearrange the sentence

Would you like me to read through again and offer my thoughts?

flowerseed is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
    Hi Flowerseed

I quickly read your piece and the remote stood out but I have re-read and as a native born english speaker there are a few points that would be better put in a more concise way. Originally I gave up as it did go on a bit.

I agree with your feelings with regard to "I am tired of learning and working" it does change the meaning. I would perfer you to rearrange the sentence

Would you like me to read through again and offer my thoughts?
    Sure! I will be really grateful if you would take the trouble to read through my writing again and show me how a native born English speaker would talk about the same problem. It will be a most valuable opportunity for me to learn. Please do give me a hand!

Indeed, it is the very thing that upsets me sometimes to realize most native speakers are very tolerant to the improper English expressions made by us non-speakers. Even if they feel it is not customized to say this or that, they won't correct you because they think it is all right as far as you make yourself understood. Of course it does no harm when communication is the focus but I'd prefer them to tell me how I should say things in a concise way to improve my English.I'd like to teach Chinese for an exchange of learning English from a native speaker. Do you have any interest in learning Chinese? If so, we can be penpals . What do you think? My hearty regards to you.
    Last edited by flowerseed; 26-Feb-2008 at 01:06.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2