• English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

How much time do you spend watching TV daily?

Anyone who joins in my discussion of the topic or helps revise the following writing in grammar or wording is appreciated

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote controller to someone else. Whenver I hear my familiy members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have someting more worth doing?

Being a teacher of English, I alway find myself fail to acquire the meaning of the editorials or articles in New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts.And this inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit before a TV set and enjoy the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired from my learning or working and need some entertainment to relax myself,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head.The only radio program I'd tune in is BBC world service broadcasting.

So my husband feel luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader on weekends. My daughter is shun from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV on weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploring programs like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broaden her horizon and enrich her knowledge of the world.I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a small girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a
    dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals about their life. Mine is to improve my English to live up to my duty as a teacher of English and to guide my daughter in a positive direction of growing up.
    Last edited by flowerseed; 23-Feb-2008 at 18:56.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much time do you spend watching TV daily?

Here are my suggestions. On the whole, this is a very well written piece of work. However, I wonder if it answers the question: "How much time do you spend watching TV daily?" Perhaps it would be good if you state in the conclusion something that answers that question. The current conclusion talks about why you watch TV rather than how much time you spend there.

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote controller to someone else. Whenever I hear my familiy members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have someting more worth doing?

Being a teacher of English, I alway find myself failing to grasp the meaning of the editorials or articles in New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts. This inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit in fornt of a TV set and enjoy watching the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired of learning or working and need some entertainment to relax,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head.The only radio program I'd tune in is BBC world service broadcasting.

My husband feels luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But, he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader on weekends. My daughter is shun from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV on weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploring programs like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broadens her horizon and enriches her knowledge of the world. I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a small girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a
    dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals about their lives. Mine is to improve my English to live up to my duty as a teacher of English and to guide my daughter in a positive direction of growing up.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Abu Risha View Post
    Here are my suggestions. On the whole, this is a very well written piece of work. However, I wonder if it answers the question: "How much time do you spend watching TV daily?" Perhaps it would be good if you state in the conclusion something that answers that question. The current conclusion talks about why you watch TV rather than how much time you spend there.

Most of my colleagues, friends and family members find themselves upset if they have to give up the remote controller to someone else. Whenever I hear my familiy members quarrel about which TV program to watch, I feel ridiculous. Don't they have someting more worth doing?

Being a teacher of English, I alway find myself failing to grasp the meaning of the editorials or articles in New York Times before reading them again and again with great efforts. This inability makes me in no mood for anything else aside from my English learning program. Consequently, I can hardly find time to sit in fornt of a TV set and enjoy watching the programs. Over time, TV has lost its attraction to me. When I am tired of learning or working and need some entertainment to relax,I choose to lie down in my bed with my earphones on my head.The only radio program I'd tune in is BBC world service broadcasting.

My husband feels luckier than his counterparts in other families. He never has to fight with me about which program to watch after dinner. But, he has to fight with our daughter, a fourth grader on weekends. My daughter is shun from TV on weekdays with an allowance of four hours' watching TV on weekends. I'd prefer her to watch exploring programs like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broadens her horizon and enriches her knowledge of the world. I forbid her to watch any sitcoms about adult life for fear that the absurd affairs of adulthood might confuse her. Anyway, it is still too early for a small girl like her to peek into the adult world. Am I a
    dull mom to my girl? I think no. People have different goals about their lives. Mine is to improve my English to live up to my duty as a teacher of English and to guide my daughter in a positive direction of growing up.
    Thank you very much for your revising, Mohammed Abu Risha ! I think your comments on the my improper choice of the title is to the point.I will change it to " Why do you spend time watching TV?" I appreciate all the effort you took to revise my wording and spelling errors. But now ,I have two questions :

The first one, I think the meaning of the following two sentences are different though they both are grammatically correct. In my writing, I wanted to say I feel tired after learning or working for some time so I need to something for a change, so I chose to use " be tired from " instead of "be tired of", which means the repetition of something makes you feel dull. I have learned the difference between the two phrases in a dictionary. Does my argument make any sense to you?

I am tired of learning or working
    I am tired from learning or working.

The second one, in the sentence: I'd prefer her to watch exploring programs like "Discovery" or " the Wildlife", which indeed broadens her horizon and enriches her knowledge of the world., "which" refers to programs, so I think "s" in broaden and "es" in enrich are unnecessary. What is your opinion?

• Post Thanks / Like

Very good follow-up questions :)

Look,

I am tired of:
    -----------

My choice was "of' simply because my English-English dictionary does not metnion "from". It only says "of". Being a non-native speaker of English, I cannot but accept what the dictionary tells me to do.

Singular or Plural with (or) conjunction:
    ------------------------------------
    In fact the word "which" in the sentence you wrote does not refer to "programs" at all :)

It refers to: the idea of watching exploration programs. This idea is singular and therefore the verbs must be singular

This is another example to illustrate the point:

He won the race, which made his father happy.

"which" above does not refer to "race". Rather it refers to the idea that "He won the race". In other words you can re-phrase it as:

His winning the race made his father happy.
    His father is happy because of something. This "something" is that he won the race.
    Last edited by Mohammed Abu Risha; 24-Feb-2008 at 12:18. Reason: New idea about the answer

• Post Thanks / Like

"exploring programs"??

How about "Exploration programs"????

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your information. But which in my sentence did mean " programs". A comma should have been used, though. Anyway, I appreciate your effort !

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mohammed Abu Risha View Post
    "exploring programs"??

How about "Exploration programs"????
    Yes, I think exploration programs is the better choice.Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

As for the difference between " be tired of " and " be tired from" , the following link may be your reference.

Verb + Preposition Definitions

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Just one point we very rarely use remote controller, normal everyday language just use remote or remote control

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stilo View Post
    Just one point we very rarely use remote controller, normal everyday language just use remote or remote control
    Thank you very much for the information!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast