• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What does " the ninth circuit " mean?

Hello Everyone,

What does " the ninth circuit" and " ban" mean in the following paragraph?

...Attorney Goodman's charge was answered in prefatory remarks against by congress man Henry Hide of Illiois , a member of the house, in effect acting for the procecution . "Judge clabon isn't here because of any alleged misconduct by the goverment . He is here because he was tried and convicted beyond reasonable doubt given the presumbtion of innocence by a jury of 12 people.His motion for a new trial was denied.His appeal to the ninth circuit was denied.His motion for a rehearing and ban was denied.and his writ of certiorari to the Supreme court was denied.That is why he is here."

And is there any requirement for the quorum of the jury? Is it a must that the quorum should be 12?

Regards

Sky

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What does " the ninth circuit " mean?

Quote Originally Posted by sky753 View Post
    Hello Everyone,

What does " the ninth circuit" and " ban" mean in the following paragraph?

...Attorney Goodman's charge was answered in prefatory remarks against by congress man Henry Hide of Illiois , a member of the house, in effect acting for the procecution . "Judge clabon isn't here because of any alleged misconduct by the goverment . He is here because he was tried and convicted beyond reasonable doubt given the presumbtion of innocence by a jury of 12 people.His motion for a new trial was denied.His appeal to the ninth circuit was denied.His motion for a rehearing and ban was denied.and his writ of certiorari to the Supreme court was denied.That is why he is here."

And is there any requirement for the quorum of the jury? Is it a must that the quorum should be 12?

Regards

Sky
    The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is a federal court with appellate jurisdiction over the district courts in the following districts:

* District of Alaska
    * District of Arizona
    * Central District of California
    * Eastern District of California
    * Northern District of California
    * Southern District of California
    * District of Hawaii
    * District of Idaho
    * District of Montana
    * District of Nevada
    * District of Oregon
    * Eastern District of Washington
    * Western District of Washington

It also has appellate jurisdiction over the following territorial courts:

* District Court of Guam
    * District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands

United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

++++++++++++++++

I suspect that 'ban' means a ban on the media to not report the facts as presented in the case, Sky.

Regarding your question about the size of a jury, it seems that even the USSC isn't all that certain.

FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Sixth Amendment: Annotations pg. 4 of 11

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

It is one of several circuit courts. From nolo.com:

circuit court
    The name used for the principal trial court in many states. In the federal system, appellate courts are organized into thirteen circuits. Eleven of these cover different geographical areas of the country -- for example, the United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit covers Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. The remaining circuits are the District of Columbia Circuit and the Federal Circuit, (which hears patent, customs and other specialized cases based on subject matter). The term derives from an age before mechanized transit, when judges and lawyers rode "the circuit" of their territory to hold court in various places.

Ban, I suppose, is this: "BAN, A proclamation, or public notice any summons or edict by which a thing is forbidden or commanded."

And for juries, "The common number of jurors is 12 (dating back a thousand years), but some states allow a smaller number (six or eight) if the parties agree."

This is from an interesting definition HERE.

Last edited by Mister Micawber; 24-Feb-2008 at 04:10.

riverkid is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Xxxxxxx##########

+++++++++++++++++

Weird. It let this nothingness, above, thru this time but before, it held back a posting "to be approved by a moderator".

???????????

Hi Mr M. How's Japan?
    Last edited by riverkid; 24-Feb-2008 at 04:26. Reason: To check something

sky753 is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Micawber View Post
    It is one of several circuit courts. From nolo.com:

circuit court
    The name used for the principal trial court in many states. In the federal system, appellate courts are organized into thirteen circuits. Eleven of these cover different geographical areas of the country -- for example, the United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit covers Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. The remaining circuits are the District of Columbia Circuit and the Federal Circuit, (which hears patent, customs and other specialized cases based on subject matter). The term derives from an age before mechanized transit, when judges and lawyers rode "the circuit" of their territory to hold court in various places.

Ban, I suppose, is this: "BAN, A proclamation, or public notice any summons or edict by which a thing is forbidden or commanded."

And for juries, "The common number of jurors is 12 (dating back a thousand years), but some states allow a smaller number (six or eight) if the parties agree."

This is from an interesting definition HERE.

First, thanks a million for taking the risk of answering my questions! But, I think, everyone can see that I am not here advocating a political assersion or something like that. For a non native speaker, I think, we should learn more than the language itself. As a matter of fact , language is far more than language, which includes logic, customs, religion, politics etc. Getting some knowledge of the background will help us better comprehend the language.

Just take "my question of ninth circuit " as an example, "circuit" in my memory is electricity circle and the common dictionary here can't offer a satisfactry answer. Hearing the phrase for the first time really confused me. So I came here for your help. I hope native teachers here can provide us the generous helps!

And can the original meaning of circuit in 'the ninth circuit' be understood as 'road' or 'track'? as from your explanation the name stemmed from before mechanized transit. I presume then there were only a few courts all over the US, while there were so many cases to be tried. The judeges and lawyers who were very small in numbers had to travel around the countries to handle the cases, and that is where the name comes from?

And another question I need here for your confirmation is there are altogether 13 circurt courts, scattering around the US and each trying different types of cases?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    Xxxxxxx##########

+++++++++++++++++

Weird. It let this nothingness, above, thru this time but before, it held back a posting "to be approved by a moderator".

???????????

Hi Mr M. How's Japan?

Mister Micawber is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

(Cold and windy, riverkid, with the yellow dust of China settling over everything. Yes, that was an odd-looking post; I thought at first it was just my email trying to turn it into Japanese characters.)

And can the original meaning of circuit in 'the ninth circuit' be understood as 'road' or 'track'?-- Yes, that's right, sky-- it was a 'circular' track which left a larger city, visited a number of small towns, and returned to its base.

And another question I need here for your confirmation is there are altogether 13 circuit courts, scattering around the US and each trying different types of cases?-- Yes 13 federal circuit courts. As to what they try-- the court system is a very complicated one, and much beyond my ability to understand. You could start HERE.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverkid View Post
    The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit is a federal court with appellate jurisdiction over the district courts in the following districts:

* District of Alaska
    * District of Arizona
    * Central District of California
    * Eastern District of California
    * Northern District of California
    * Southern District of California
    * District of Hawaii
    * District of Idaho
    * District of Montana
    * District of Nevada
    * District of Oregon
    * Eastern District of Washington
    * Western District of Washington

It also has appellate jurisdiction over the following territorial courts:

* District Court of Guam
    * District Court for the Northern Mariana Islands

United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

++++++++++++++++

I suspect that 'ban' means a ban on the media to not report the facts as presented in the case, Sky.

Regarding your question about the size of a jury, it seems that even the USSC isn't all that certain.

FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Sixth Amendment: Annotations pg. 4 of 11