• Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help- cover letter

Below follows the cover letter I intend to attach
    along with my application to a postgraduate course
    in creative writing. Any comments, suggestion, or even
    alterations are more than welcome, especially if they
    involve errors in grammar (I am not a native speaker)

To whom it may concern

I am writing to apply for the Master of Studies in Creative Writing in (university's name). I am a graduate student of (university's) name. I have majored in the Cultural management section.

The field of cultural studies had always fascinated me, and especially literature. Ever since I can remember I felt intrigued by those two complementary processes, reading and writing.

Reading had always been for me, something more than just an obligatory task commanded by the teachers at school. I regarded the pages of a book as a way to understand the writerís outlook on different subjects; such are love, war, society. As a result, my readings include a great variety of writerís and subjects, as well: from wrath of Peleusís son to the room 101, and from the fortunes and misfortunes of Prince Myshkin to Harry Limeís demise. Nevertheless my interest soon expanded in the field of cinema, theatre, comic books and even television. More characters were added to my known fictional universe, such as Blanche Dubois, the Simpson family, Beetlejuice and Mr. Sandman.

Writing was something that I enjoyed as much as reading, or maybe even more. I was fascinated by the idea that I could approach some of my favourite (or even less favourite) fictional characters on my own terms. What I found even more challenging, was the fact that I could create my own characters, interacting in a background chosen by me. The creative possibilities in writing are countless. A character can be a man or a woman, a king or a beggar, a cat or a mouse, a living or a dead. A story can be about a mystery, a romance, a dystopia, or even about a story. I always found the concept of a story within a story interesting.

During my academic education, I was given the chance of expanding both my creative as well as my critical skills. Ii was very important for me the fact that I was introduced to the works of Roland Barthes and Laura Mulvey. In the meantimeI attended the course of creative writing. Although the subject of the course was creative writing, strong emphasis was needed in the approach of the history of literature in general. Nevertheless the exercises recommended by my creative writing teacher, helped me to cultivate my writing skills. It is imperative to mention that during my academic studies, I was also an editor for an Electronic Publication provided by the (university's name). My articles involved cinema related subjects, such as the depiction of death in cinema, and the relationship between television and cinema.

Given the experience that I have already acquired in the creative, as well as the critical field I am most intrigued in participating in the Master of Studies in Creative Writing provided by the (university's name). I believe that it would offer me a chance to further develop and improve my skills. Although I am particularly interested in prose fiction, I consider the emphasis given in poetry as important and essential as well.

Yours faithfully

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help- cover letter

Good job! I have made a few suggestions as to how you might improve this below. Good luck with your application!

Dear Sir/Madam (try to find out the name of the person you are writing to)

I am writing to apply for the Master of Studies in Creative Writing in (university's name). I am a graduate of (university's) name, where I majored in cultural management.

The field of cultural studies had always fascinated me, and especially literature. Ever since I can remember I have been fascinated by the two complementary processes: reading and writing. Reading in particular has always been for me, something more than just an obligatory task set by teachers at school. I regard the pages of a book as a way to understand the writerís outlook on different subjects; such as love, war and society. As a result, I have read extensively including a great variety of writers and subjects: from the wrath of Peleusís son to room 101, and from the fortunes and misfortunes of Prince Myshkin to Harry Limeís demise. More recently my interests have expanded to encompass the fields of cinema, theatre, comic books and even television.

Writing is something that I enjoy as much as reading, or perhaps even more. I am fascinated by the idea that I can approach some of my favourite (or even less favourite) fictional characters on my own terms. What I have found even more challenging, is the fact that I can create my own characters and make them interact against a background chosen by me. The creative possibilities in writing are countless. A character can be a man or a woman, a king or a beggar, a cat or a mouse, living or dead. A story can be of any genre: a mystery, a romance or even a dystopian vision.

Throughout my studies I have been given the chance of expanding both my creative as well as my critical skills. In addition to my regular studies, I attended a course on creative writing. Although the title of the course was creative writing a strong emphasis was put on the history of literature in general. Exercises recommended by my creative writing teacher, have helped me to cultivate my writing skills. I should also mention that during my academic studies, I was also an editor for an Electronics Publication provided by the (university's name). My articles involved cinema related subjects, such as the depiction of death in the cinema, and the relationship between television and the cinema.

The experience that I have had in the creative, as well as the critical field makes me eager to further pursue the subject by participating in the Master of Studies in Creative Writing at your university. I believe that this course would offer me an unrivalled opportunity to further develop and improve my skills.

Yours faithfully (Yours sincerely if you know and use the name of the addressee)

tzoyia is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your remarks abd suggestions. They are really useful. But there is still one thing, that I am not certain though. Should I include the title and the author of the literary works, that I mention, or should I leave it just like that(for example when I am referring to room 101 should I mention that it is fron Orwell's 1984?)? I am afraid that some references, are not that obvious. What do you think?

Horsa is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think you should